New
Find
Notify
Tools

308 loads
 Login/Join

<re-loader>
posted
26" barrel-------accurate loads for 165-168gr also 180 gr.

Thanks RL

<Rifleman7>
posted
I just got back from the range today and had a good group with 43 grains of Varget with 168 Match Kings.

<Sendaro>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by re-loader:
26" barrel-------accurate loads for 165-168gr also 180 gr.

Thanks RL

I shoot a 308 in a Remington 700 VS LH The load that has worked well is as follows, Sierra 168 gr MK, 43.5 gr. of IMR4064 and a Fed 210 RB primer. It clocks from the 26" barrel at 2708 fps and will group from my rifle .4s to .7s. The SD runs at 7.0 fps and the MAD 4.6 fps. Give it a try.

<1LoneWolf>
posted
This is one you don't hear often, but has proven awesome in a Rem VLS 24" barrel, and also in a standard 24" Rem action, Hart barreled hunting rifle.

Federal Match Primers
168 Sierra HPBT Match
VV N550 at 47.3 grains.
OAL varies with rifles.

The VLS will punch in 5 shot one hole groups at a 100 yards, damn consistently. Of course I often screw that up. Largest groups that rifle shoots is middle threes, if the conditions are good.

The Rem/Hart. Heats up quicker, so I stick to three shot groups. It is honestly under .4 about 70% of the time. It has thrown some .8s in, but that could be me, or a less than perfect load I made up.

One other benefit......the powder burns exceptionally clean.
The reason? I have no idea, I just have seen it with the VV powders in many calibers.
Good luck.

<Big50>
posted
Sendero, it's funny you mention it but I pulled apart a Federal match cartridge and it looks like IMR4064 with 43.4gns too.

180 Scirroco with 43gns Varget, 210M, win case. 1 in 11 twist M1A load

165gn gameking with 44gns Varget 20" barrel M70 classic compact (Fed. factory uses 43.5gns of some ball powder and goes 1" at 300yds also) The most accuate load yet.

150gn XLCBT with 47.5gns Varget

Later
Brent

<Wolverine>
posted
These loads are from memory, so consult your manuals and use safe loading procedures.

26" barrel, 1-10 twist.
________

Old reliable load for most any .308 rifle, including service rifles:

WW Brass prepped and FL resized
Fed 210M primers
40.5 gr IMR 4895
Sierra 168 gr MatchKing

My personal favorite (so far):

WW Brass prepped, fireformed, and pfl resized
Fed 210M primers
42.5 gr RL-15 (Right at max in manual if I recall correctly. Work your way up first.)
180gr Nosler BT seated just off the lands

TINY groups. (Was that three shots or one?)

______

[This message has been edited by Wolverine (edited 12-08-2001).]

<green 788>
posted
Using Varget powder, I'm able to shoot 1/4" groups with my Savage 10 FP, virtually every trip to the range. Last week I was able to put four of the 175 Sierra Matchking loads into the same hole, only slightly enlarging, at the 100 yard mark. This four shot group measured well below a .1, closer to a .05. I was a chicken and didn't take the fifth shot.

168 grain SMK, 46.0 grains Varget (This is a suggested load on the cannister label, so it is not over max, as some have suggested)...

175 grain SMK, 45.0 grains of Varget

180 grain SMK, 44.0 grains of Varget

I have equally good results with Winchester cases and with my normal Lapua cases.

IMPORTANT!! Use CCI BR primers, or inconsistencies will result.

All of these loads are excellent performers, but my preference is for the 175 grain load. I use an OAL of 2.885" in my 10 FP.

Try one or all of the above loads--you'll find they work extremely well, and a plus is that the Varget is not temperature sensitive, so they'll work as well at 0 degrees as they do a 100.

green 788