THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HORSE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Horse    Re: Fiancee is going to learn how to ride, some ??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Fiancee is going to learn how to ride, some ??
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
I have ridden horses nearly my entire life. Done it western, English, bare back, I have evented, ridden dressage, raced and ridden staff to a pack of hounds, what ever....

I wear a helmet.

I gallop horses, I jump them, I hit the trails and roads with them. Most people ride trails, it's relaxing, fun and a good way to see some countryside.

If you are around horses you will get hurt, sooner or later. They spook, they buck, they fall (and on you), other riders will bang into you and injure you. Horses are living things and being such, you have a lot less control over those sort of events. You know who gets hurt more than anyone? The professionals do.

I remember this as a teenager, one of the neighbors took a friend riding on one of their horses. It was a very nice early fall day, beautiful weather, everything carefree. They were cantering down a trail and the guest did not duck in time for a branch. Smashed her skull, she was dead. Would not have happened if she had a helmet on. Bad thing to see a friend die when you are supposed to be having innocent fun. This is one of many unfortunate accidents I have seen in my lifetime.

Broken arms and legs heal up pretty good, brains don't.

Please take precautions and never make light of being cautious.

Posts: 19168 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There's nothing wrong with a helmet for a new rider as long as she is comfortable in it. She must remember though, that control of the horse is where her confidence must be, not in cranial protection. When picking tack, do not look for "pretty". Start with a good used saddle, preferably a handmade one, and have someone who knows what they are doing make sure it fits her. Later on, if she really gets into riding, have a handmade saddle made specifically for her. It doesn't have to be fancy. It would be best if it is built on a good hardwood tree, rather than fiberglass. I prefer a Wade tree and have rode the same saddle now for 15 years after riding Modified Association trees before that.

Posts: 34 | Location: Miles City, Montana | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote