Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Horse's in the UK....
 Login/Join

posted
I thought I would post a couple of pictures to show you American's are not the only ones who use horses for hunting!

-

-

-

-

The top three pictures show stags being carried off the hill in the traditional manner ie by highland pony or garron as it is known. One or two of these pony's, in the care of a pony man, shadow the main shooting party waiting to be called foward once the stags (or hinds!) have been shot. These relatively small ponies will carry a stag in the 150lb to 250lb range off the "hill" for 10 or so miles back to the larder...The bottom picture just gives you an idea of the terrain and weather they typically work in...

Regards,

Pete

[ 10-22-2003, 17:58: Message edited by: Pete E ]

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Way cool!

Posts: 19168 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report & pictures. Like Ann said "way cool".

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice photo's!
got anymore?

one of us
posted Hide Post
BTW, are you allowed to use dog's for hunting of
stag?
What breed of dog is that?

posted Hide Post
Glad you folks like the pictures!

Norseman,

I am pretty sure that "coursing" deer is illegal in Scotland, but it is legal, accepted and common to use a dog to follow up a wounded animal. This is usually in the form of blood trailing, and if you have a large dog like a GWP it would be expect to bay or even bring down a deer that was still mobile.

With regards the mutt in the picture, I have no idea what it is; I thought maybe a lab???

A quick search on the net turned up the pics and when I get a minute I will see if I can find any more.

For the guys who use pack horses/mules in the USA, does the set up shown in the pictures look similar to what you use? Do you use bigger or smaller horses/pony's? Do you expect them to carry more or less weight?

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pete;We usually use mules as pack animals but if we use a horse its a good sized stocky or draft type.When you are packing an elk or the occasional moose out of the back country you need a strong surefooted animal.As to the packing equipment I cant tell from the photo what they are using we use Decker pack saddles which are essentially saddle tree bars fastened together with metal brackets desighned to hang panniers on or tie loads to it.w/regards

Posts: 610 | Location: MT | Registered: 01 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
I have never packed an animal whole but I may try it after seeing this. I have always prefered a mule to pack. They are alot like ponies in that they can carry a lot for there size and require less feed and foot care. I have packed a half Welsh half Arabian. Now before I get hoorahed I also know a person that packed out a dead woman in a body bag for the search and rescue in Vail Co using this same pony.

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Folks,

I don't know much about pack horses, but I believe there are two somewhat tradional types of saddle in use in the Highlands. One is a straight forward pack saddle and the other is a "conbination" saddle ie you can use it to ride on as well as for packing. I recall reading that in days past, these were used to pack the more unfit "gentleman guns" out to the hill and then bring the stags down at the end of the day. I also believe they weren't that comfortable to ride as there design was a trade off..

When I was searching for the pictures above I did find a site which out lined some of this, I will see if I can find it again and post the link...

ElCaballero,

As for as I am aware, they never quarter a beast to pack it out in the Highlands. Of course our Reds are a good bit smaller than your elk and I guess that in Scotland they probably only have to spend 2 or 3 hours walking out at the most. Still, if you use mules for packing out deer or smaller cow elk, maybe you can give it a go. I belive the hard part is loading the animal espeically if your single handed on the hill...

Regards,

Pete

[ 10-25-2003, 00:25: Message edited by: Pete E ]