THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HORSE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Horse    Anyone got advice for a lazy mule?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone got advice for a lazy mule?
 Login/Join

posted
I've got a generally pretty good mule here. I've had him about 3 years now but he never has been one to enjoy trotting or loping. He kicks up his back legs in protest sometimes when I ask him. It's got my son, who is a better rider than me, totally terrified of him. Junior is over 16 hands and around 2000 pounds. He's a belgian/mammoth jack cross. Big boy!

I'm not scared of him but it's more of an annoyance than anything. For example, last weekend when we were riding him in the arena. Walking, backing, turning, all just fine. The slightest amount of pressure from my heels though or the verbal command to trot and it's a big hop and a protest. Sometimes he does it a couple times before he decides to trot. On a trail ride he doesn't have this problem. He has to be leader of the pack and will really do anything to lead horses through the canyons or whatever we are in. He hates being a follower. That I like. MOST of the horse riders we go with don't mind it either because he has a reputation for being extremely sure footed and safe and aside from a bunch of wild turkeys he thought were gonna get him once, he doesn't spook. If he'll take on a trail it must be safe for the horses in other words. Mules and donkeys have a pretty good self preservation instinct.

I just need some tips to get this hopping thing broke from him that don't involve a whip or any other kind of animal torture like my last teacher kept trying to do. He got fired when I cought him with a whip on my animals!

Here's a pic of junior:

http://www.dansshootingsupply.com/photogallery/picgallery/camera%20052.jpg

http://www.dansshootingsupply.com/photogallery/picgallery/jpg65.jpg

http://www.dansshootingsupply.com/photogallery/picgallery/P1010003.JPG

Posts: 6 | Location: Lubbock Texas | Registered: 18 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
5'4" & 2000 lbs That's a BIG kid!

Oh, I see - you meant your Mule named "Junior"

Seriously, go HERE. Meredith Hodges is a recognized expert on those long eared thangs. BTW she is the late Charles Schulz's (Peanuts cartoonist) Daughter.

Ray might chime in with a few ideas too, if he happens to see this thread.

Posts: 324 | Location: SE Wyoming | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
2x4 attitude adjuster?? derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote