THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HORSE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Horse    Saddle for someone without a tailbone?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Saddle for someone without a tailbone?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
They make bike seats for people without tailbones (lost mine due to an accident). Do they do the same for horse people?

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
not familiar with the ones for bike riding, but would something with extra cushion do the trick?

no experience with the treeless saddles but they seem to be extra layers of foam to build them up, or abetta has some saddles with memory foam

another option would be find a custom saddle maker to make/modify what you need

Posts: 178 | Location: upstate NY | Registered: 14 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nope!

I looks like a reversed open ended toilet seat. You sit on it where the rear end has no support in the middle.

Because I only have a little pointy nub there, and of course it is your spine so there are like 8 million never endings.

When they removed it, I went through absolute hell for 5 months. My wife kept me going, kept me from drinking and kept me mostly sane. Was about the most painful thing I could think of.

It happened in 2012, and it is still very sore. I can only now just ride a bike, and I have to have the coccyx seat.

Even my work chairs have the coccyx pad on them.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
check out the pandora performance saddles.

I know the opening is on the wrong end but being custom and out of carbon fiber they may be able to accommodate and build a full carbon then just cut out the space you need.

things look hard but actually I settled right into it.

or if you know someone that is good with carbon fiber or fiberglass i've been tempted to play around with a US made version with a few small changes that people have commented on, just don't really have access to someone to guide me through it

one of us
posted Hide Post
A good saddle is made to fit the horse first and foremost, Most of us can set in any good saddle. If you have a tail bone injury you will need to have a custom built saddle or perhaps on old Calvary saddle that has a open seat with a cut thru the whole saddle. Called a McCullan saddle..might work, don't know for sure.

A small seat will sit you forward, most team ropers use a 14 to 14.5 seat to set them forward to rope..Most trail and ranch saddles have a 15 to 16 inch tree that sets you on your pockets, for whatever reason..Im fine anywhere with my 14 or 14.5 inch seats in a 15 inch tree. All my saddles are saddles the kids have won of custom saddles Ive had built. All are western saddles.

I don't see why you couldn't have a padded seat, most western saddles do, all mine are padded it sure makes a difference at the end of the day after a 16 hour ride..The also make a big soft pad to stick in the back of a too large saddle, mostly used my kids but bet it would make things more comfortable for you..Talk to a good western saddle maker, like gunsmith pick a good one.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pads have to be the right shape and have a releif on them. Even for me to drive or sit in an office chair.

I am a quick eater, and don't really do dinner parties or casual events because I can't manage that much time on my ass.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the saddle won't be very secure, but what about finding the thinnest pad that is comfortable for you and setting that on a standard saddle to start? maybe put something with a bit of grip on the underside so it doesn't slide around.

then once you determine the right seat cushion for the saddle find a saddlemaker to get the job done, incorporate the pad into the saddle raise the pomel & cantel a bit to still get you a secure/comfortable seat but still accommodate the extra padding

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can't start moving the saddle around to make him comfortable, you would only magnify the pressure points to the horse, first of all is proper saddle fit to the horse...

you could buy a tanned wool on sheepskin and add a layer or even two to the seat, if it works then it can be cut and made to tie on to the saddle..Some outfit makes them, but can't recall who, but a saddle maker could do that.

The answer is forget AR and talk to the man that makes saddles for a living and one who knows his business..None of us even knows the extent of your injury, you may not be able to ride..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
^
Saddle fit for the horse should always be the first consideration IMO. Bob Marshall makes some good treeless saddles, perhaps one of those could be customized to fit your seat?

Good luck.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you might even try and English saddle, I have used them to teach colts their leads as you have a lot of feel and the horse can feel your signals...other than that I have no use for them, just not my cup of coffee..Just a thought and worth a try.

Another suggestion is a 14 or 14.5 inch tree. That is what I ride to team rope in as it keeps me up front in the saddle with little if any effort and off my pockets..I even ride that saddle working cattle or hunting, got used to it and feels good to me..most team ropers today ride short trees...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120