New
Find
Notify
Tools

Asian horses
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've done a little riding over the last 35 years, a few guided, outiftted pack trips in places such as the Selway-Bitteroot Wilderness, Chilcotin of BC, and the Middle Fork of the Snake. I rode a mule for a week once. That was sufficient.

I just returned from a Kyrgyzstan Marco Polo hunt. The horses were unlike any I've ridden before. They are small. I could stand beside one and lay my arm over the neck with very little stretching. At 225#, I thought I would be heavy for the little things. The camp was at 10,000', and we rode up into the 13-14,000' range daily. Even though I haven't ridden in years, I did 15-25 miles a day with no problem, provided I refused to go at the trot the guides liked. The saddle was too short, so there was severed impact on the family jewels. The horses made good time at a brisk walk that was very comfortable (for me.)

These horses are ridden daily. They winter at 10,000 feet. When you drop the reins, they stand. They never shy. No rodeo! I think a horse like these would be worth a ton here.

The guides took us straight up chutes filled with rock and rubble and covered with snow. If a horse slowed, he got the quirt. Not once did a horse fall, and little slips were not common.

My guide loaded 160# of meat behind his saddle in crude canvas saddle bags, added his 150#, and rode the poor critter like he was taking a turn around the pasture. I thought this must be cruel use, but the horse seemed capable. He did break a sweat, but not severe. It was cold. The horse sweat froze on the bellies sometimes.

I've had to learn before to trust my pony in the mountains, but a lot of outfitters' horses don't engender much confidence. These fine animals were sure a marvelous revelation. I could learn to love 'em.

Any comments by the experienced horsemen here would be appreciated.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
People like that, and the western native's of 100-200 yrs ago rode their mounts to death a lot too. Just got on another one and kept up the pace as they were expendable if they couldn't do the job demanded.
Damned cruel compared to our standards. But, they'd do it to themselve's and expect it of you too.

Glad you had a good mount to ride and hope the hunt was great too. Glad you made it back ok.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of silkibex
posted Hide Post
Not all Kyrgyz horses are so capable. The almost pony sized ones Brice refers to are called "Sayak" horses locally. They tend to be stockier and shorter legged than the "New Kyrgyz" breed. They are capable of going up and down the worst terrain and carrying amazingly heavy loads.

No, they don't treat the horses the way we would. They don't stable them well, groom them, or give them supplements. But they also don't ride them to death. A good riding horse is close to $1000 and that is too much for someone to ride to death and get a new one, when for the average shepherd that is a year's wages.

Posts: 210 | Location: Central Asia/SE Asia | Registered: 02 March 2005Reply With Quote