New
Find
Notify
Tools

Horse Rental
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Wow, the honour of the first post on this new forum.....I dunno if I can handle the emotion [Wink]
I was wondering how many of you actually rent animals for the duration of your trip? I have heard that the quality of the horses is rather low in most cases, but as beasts of burden they serve the purpose...BTW what kind of price is given for this service?
P.S. Is it true that mustang horses are not shod as they have naturally tough hoofs?

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boghossian:
....P.S. Is it true that mustang horses are not shod as they have naturally tough hoofs?

Mustangs do have hard hooves but they need to be shod. I used to have a little mustang mare that it took someone really strong to trim her hooves. Taking them up in the mts. they travel over a lot of rocky ground so shoes are good.

[ 10-22-2003, 16:25: Message edited by: WyoJoe ]

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
<MFH>
posted
We ususally rent for our 7day hunt in CO. It runs a little over $600 for two horses with tack and feed. All that we have had were in good shape and were relatively good. Occasionally one exceptional and one knot-head. The rent we pay stays the same for a somewhat longer trip if needed.

MFH

one of us
posted Hide Post
Some mules can get by fine without shoes, but if you ever shoe one then you must for the remainder of his life...We shod some and others we didn't...Mustangs may be the same, I don't know, never had but one and we shoed him from the start..He was tough but never did get real gentle, even though we rode the hell out of him, then again we were young and encouraged him to buck...He was plumb ugly.

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote