THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HORSE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Horse    Western Horseman magazine
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Western Horseman magazine
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello Guys - I've got to have a rant, hope this isn't to off topic . . .

Just bought a Western Horseman magazine, admittedly the first in about 15 years but WHAT, its full of crap, much of it dumb and some plain wrong (even my kids can see it).

I subscribed for many years and those copies circulated widely here, it was full of good stuff about horses, ranching and rodeo. Down here in NZ it was so useful to learn and keep up with current training trends etc.

Is there an alternative that you guys think better for horses, ranching, rodeo and training ??

Cheers - Foster

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Painted Horse
posted Hide Post
So many of the magazine cater to women.. Which are the major subscribers. Equus, Horse & Rider, Trail rider, etc all focus most of their writting towards that group.

I haven't bought or looked at a Western Horseman Magazine in years. So I'm not sure what they have in the current magazines that you consider dumb and full crap. But I suspect its focused on less experienced horsemen and the ads are designed to sell. As you have become more experienced, the magazine may seems too basic.

Posts: 232 | Location: Utah | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tis true, just about all the horse magazines are oriented towards women, of a certain age. Big Grin Times are a changing. Went to look for Christmas cards, at Leaning Tree, the other day. Now, if I live in Canada, I have to pay to get a catalogue and the Western type cards seem to have been rplaced by frilly, artsy things. Old Trumble must have died and left the operation to his Trophy wife. dancing

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I must say you are correct, now it seems that magazines are a wad of paper you buy full of ads trying to sell you something. Western Horseman is no Different as it once was very informative on vetinery medicine and care of horses as well as products that worked. Now its a crap shoot.