New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting horse update..
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just had to brag on my horse a bit...Throwing deer on him is one thing...Time to see what he would do around a bear...

I had him turned loose along a the road in a grassy spot while I watched the canyon...A good bear came out below on a old mud road...Now to see what would happen..

Nothing...He gave the bear a good smelling and that was it...My hunting buddy was riding my wifes horse and he didn't want nothing to do with the scary thing lying in the road LOL...We had to tie him about 50 yards back...

If the bear had been a little smaller,I would have liked to try and throw him on whole,just to see...It was dark and raining by the time we got the bear skinned,quarted and loaded on the horse...It was a easy pack the 3 miles back to the truck...I think I am going to like having a hunting horse.. dancing

Posts: 49 | Location: Brownsville Oregon | Registered: 07 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How's he do with live ones?

Posts: 15880 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Be careful about bragging about a horse. They have a way of doing something to change your mind often!

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A good practice with most horses is to swab their noses with Vicks or Menthol prior to loading a bear or deer on them...Some folks slop blood on their nose, but I have seen this create panic on the horses part.

After a couple of applications of Vicks they seem to accept the dead animals much easier.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41850 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wymple,

That is a great pic...Any more to the story?

Not sure if I could pull it off,but would like to try LOL...

10-4 on the bragging...Sooner or later he will make a liar out of me... Mad

Posts: 49 | Location: Brownsville Oregon | Registered: 07 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The bear's pen was in the middle of the horse's paddock. Not one of the ten horses worried about that bear, even a little. They treated her like she was a dog. Changes in the law means the bear is now gone.

Posts: 15880 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote