New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lets talk shoes...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well it's been a pleasure to post on this thread, everyone made their point, and everyone was polite and it was an opertunitiy to see what other folks do..

The bottom line is if it works for you then you must be doing something right, I will forever use the iron shoe, too late to change, but if I had a hard footed horse with properly shaped feet and never came up lame, I would be a happy camper for sure and it would increase my yearly income by some for sure. salute

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
From across the water over here in Oz......I agree with Layne Easter-"Horses...if shod properly...can stay shod 24-7-365 with out problems. The problems attributed to shoing only arise when improper farriery is applied."

As an Equine Veterinarian I come across this question often (especially now that the barefoot movement is taking hold) and my only adition to this discussion is that the Horses welfare is our point of reference. This means if your horse cannot be sound in your chosen endeavour (either shod or barefoot) then be open minded about your options and seek professional advice.

Posts: 6 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 06 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deertick:
Shoes are fine ... but the question was about boots.

Boots can be used over long distances -- 100 mile races in the Rockies; I can't imagine much more punishment. They have advantages and disadvantages. One advantage is that they are pretty darn easy to replace in the backcountry, unless you happen do be a farrier.

The advantage of shoes is that (as long as they stay on) they are out-of-sight, out-of-mind. The downside is that it takes a skilled farrier to do it well, and it takes good stock. Laminitis and Navicular are not seen in barefoot stock, by-and-large.

There are no people like horse-people for getting stuck in ruts and doing something because that's how dad/cowboys/dressage riders/the latest holistic nutjob did it.

And, Mr. Atkinson, I mean no disrespect when I say that you prove that last point well. In fact, as long as whatever you're doing is working for your animals, I admire your "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"-attitude.

That said, it ain't working for quite a few of us, or our animals.

The part about not seeing navicular as often in unshod animals isn't well supported especially since two of the first things you do with unshod animals when they do develop it are to trim their feet and put shoes with pads on them which to me negates a lot of the "barefoot is better" claims out there.

Posts: 354 | Location: MD | Registered: 11 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Contracted heels isn't a horse problem its a horse owner problem..All you have to do it look at them once in awhile, if they are showing signs of contracting, then jerk the shoes off..but your horse shoe'er should catch that and tell you what you need to do..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know this: Coming out of the San Juans on a moonless night so black you can't see your hand in front of your face, the most settling sight is seeing the sparks off the shoes of the horses in front of you. The most unsettling feeling is,under the same circumstances, having your horse take a really bad step and hoping you both make it off the mountain that night. I always shoe my horses when I'm in the hills.

Posts: 197 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 23 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am certain some of you know more about Horses then me. I think a good farrier is important.
He is an example, we have a spotted saddle that grows a hoof on his left front like a weed . Every 5 weeks he needs triming or he will grow a club foot.The farrier that we used for the last 4-5 years (we thought was good) was not as it seemed to us . He told us things and not knowing , he had been leaving the horses feet long on purpose . the horse was miserable he would not run , he had a pitty patter walk . We sold our farm and we board now temporarily a Amish guy now does their feet what a diffrence. the Horse now runs, canters and has his natural gate back , adiffrent hore all to gether.

Posts: 1456 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote