THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    BW et al -- .416 Taylor load results

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BW et al -- .416 Taylor load results Login/Join

Picture of Canuck
posted
Hi guys,

Managed to make it to the range today and was pleasantly surprised by some results on the chrony, with my .416 Taylor. The cases are Remington, formed from .338 Win Mag brass. OAL = 3.260" (short because of .338 brass, seated bullet to cannellure). The measurements are 3-shot strings.

400gr Hornady RN, 71gr RL 15, CCI 250 -- 2399, 2387, 2391 fps. (2392 avg.)

400gr Hornady RN, 72gr RL 15, CCI 250 -- 2413, 2416, 2417 fps (2415 avg. & nice spread!!)

400gr Hornady RN, 73gr RL 15, CCI 250 -- 2456, 2449, 2473 fps. (2459 avg!)

My Taylor has a 23" barrel (12" twist) so I was not expecting velocities quite this good. Might have to do with the conditions though... 15 deg C (59 deg F), 1300m elevation (approx 4000 ft), sunny, no wind (a beautiful day in the Kootenay's!). I was using my Beta Master Chrony with skyscreens (practically brand new, with new batteries), at 15' (right to end of cable).

I love this rifle! Brian W. & Bill Leeper...I will try to post a pic of it in the next couple of days. The laminate stock turned out great.

Canuck

[This message has been edited by Canuck (edited 10-01-2001).]

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Canuck:
Hi Canuck,
You've got some good results with your 416. I've always used WW brass in 458 for cases. My rifle took 76.5 grains of reloader 15 to achieve 2425 fps with a 24 inch barrel. Just goes to show that ever gun is a law unto itself. The Taylor is a really good cartridge and 2400 is very realistic with it. The 400 grain Hornady bullet is very tough also. Don't just consider them a practice bullet. There built to be the real thing. Would really love to see the picture of your 416.
470 Mbogo

Posts: 1247 | Location: Sechelt B.C. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Wow! Those are great velocitys! I'm jealous, as I've got the same barrel, and get about 75fps slower results with those same loads. The only difference I see is in primer choice. I've been using Fed 215 primers, but plan on switching to Fed 210's. Maybe I should look for some of them CCI 250's.

As far as those Hornady 400gr bullets...

That's what I'm hunting Brown bear with right now. I plan on switching to some North Fork 325gr bullets. But I'm waiting on some Leupold QR rings and bases arrive at the local sporting goods store. I really don't want to sight in twice.

One other difference, I'm not seating them to the cannelure. I'm seating them just deep enough to feed reliably in my magazine.

Do you guys think that if I seated them deeper, the pressure increase would help my velocity figures?

Thanks Canuck!

------------------
Brian
The 416 Taylor WebPage!

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BW; Just as every rifle is diff so is every chrony. My neighbours is consistly 75fps higher than mine? Keep track of your pressure & don't worry about fps, 50-100 will make no diff to a well hit bear.

Posts: 302 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 21 September 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
sxr6, you are probably right about the variation between chrony's. A couple of other bits of data I collected over my chrony lead me to believe it has to be close though. For instance, I measured velocities of a few different kinds of factory ammo (.22lr-CCI Stingers, .375H&H-RemSafari grade, .308 Win-WWSilvertips) and my numbers were very close to the advertised velocities. Also, the results for my 6.5 Gibbs (collected concurrent with the 416T data...ie. shot one while the other cooled) was very, very close to published data for its loads.

Either way, I am a pretty happy camper. I hope to get a chance to try the "little beast" on an elk.

BW, I say try it and see. The nuances of pressure can be very subtle, but must have some resultant impact on measured velocities.

One other subtle difference between our rifles is that yours has a stainless barrel. Could that make any difference??

Just for kicks I calculated the ME of the 73gr load above. According to the formula in "Understanding Ballistics" it comes out to 5370 ft-lbs!!!! WOW!

470Mbogo, I had to use .338 brass because I couldn't find any .458WM brass anywhere. Even Midway was back-ordered. I plan to stick with the Hornadies for hunting. They seem like a good bullet, and they are substantially cheaper than the competition. Also, as it is the middle of hunting season I don't have much time for load development.

Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Adirondack Joe>
posted
I am just getting interested in the big-bores and I don't know much about the 416 Taylor. If I ever decided to get a 416, I'm pretty sure it would be one of the belted 2400fps cartridges. I'm just curious about the appeal of the Taylor over other cartridges, like the 416 Rem. Also, isn't there a wildcat with a 8mm Rem Mag necked up to 416? Isn't there also one of a necked up 375 H&H?

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
The appeal of the .416 Taylor is that it will fit into a standard length action ('o6 length). The reason I chose it is because I had the action first and wanted to put a big bore in it.

Regarding the other .416 wildcats, some other regulars here may have more accurate info than me (esp. George Hoffman), but my understanding is that the .416 Remington Mag is the 8mm Remington Mag necked up to .416.

The .416 Hoffman, I believe, is just the .375 H&H necked up to .416. For all intents and purposes the Hoffman and the Rem Mag are practically identical. These two, of course, require .375 length actions to accomodate them.

Regards, Canuck

one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Canuck,

I'm don't know about the stainless barrel being slower. I sort of doubt it though.

Perhaps I should oil the bore more often! Slick 50 might work!

If anything, my cheap chrony may be reading fast, it tells me my 200gr Partition load in 300 Win Mag travels a bit over 3100fps.

I have a buddy with a chronograph, I'll get together and we'll compare.

Take it easy...

------------------
Brian
The 416 Taylor WebPage!

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BW:
I don't know about the stainless barrel being slower. I sort of doubt it though.

Ya, me too. The stainless doesn't seem to affect my 6.5.

I hope to get you some more data this weekend. I want to try 74 and 75 gr of RL 15 to see what happens. Depends how my hunting plans go. Between birthday parties and turkey dinners (CDN Thanksgiving is Monday), my hunting plans aren't looking good.

I shoot 200 NP's out of my .300 as well. What load do you shoot? I could check mine and we could compare notes on that too. If mine's faster on that one as well, something could be fishy.

Canuck

one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Canuck,

That 300WM load is 78.0grs of RL-25, Remington cases, Fed 215 primers. Bullets are seated long, as I use a 375H&H magazine in my Browning A-Bolt.

I won't be hitting the range this weekend. The family and I will be taking the boat up to a Forest Service cabin on the north end of Baranoff Island. Gonna spend the whole weekend there. I'll be taking the Taylor though! With those Hornady 400gr RN's. I'm sure we'll see bears, but I'm not shooting unless it's one of those "oh my goodness, that's a huge bear!" bears.

Have a great Thanksgiving! Did your pilgrims land before ours???

------------------
Brian
The 416 Taylor WebPage!

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
BW, I think our pilgrims did land about a month and a half before yours. At GMC Rock if I am not mistaken.

I'll try your RL 25 load and see what happens. I have been using RL 22.

Here's a pic of my .416T. Not a great photo, but the girlfriend had me under a time constraint. Might be able to post another tomorrow.

Have a good weekend!

Canuck

one of us
posted Hide Post
Canuck,

The rifle looks beautiful. Whose laminated stock did you use?

Posts: 530 | Location: Kulpmont, PA | Registered: 31 December 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Craig,
Its a Richard's Microfit Stock, walnut/walnut laminate. Their website is www.rifle-stocks.com/

I am really impressed with it. It comes roughly inletted. Bill Leeper did the finishing inletting and glass bedding, and had the outside ready for me to do some fine sanding and finishing (Tru-oil). Bill also did a great job on the matte finish blueing. I think it worked out pretty awesome.

Canuck

one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
That is an nice looking rifle!

I've been thinking about going with a laminate stock myself. Thanks for the link.

------------------
Brian
The 416 Taylor WebPage!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Canuck,
I had been going to call to see if you had the stock finished and see how it worked out for you. Nice job on the stock finishing.
Hope you get that elk.
We've had a couple bugling all night long in the field. I told Sharon I don't want to kill him. I want to capture him then everytime he starts to go to sleep shriek in his ear! That's what I go through every night.
To make matters worse the beagle howls and the elk answers! It's tough living here!
I havn't yet been able to get a look to count points. Good luck to you. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3532 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Canuck
Hi Canuck,
A couple of questions. What chronograph do you use? What is the weight of you 416 Taylor? You have a very nice looking rifle there and you must be very happy with it. My Taylor is on a Ruger 77 with the tang saftey and a Bell Carlson stock. It has a barrel band front sling and a Leupold 1.5 to 5 scope on it. The weight is 9.25 lbs. The top velocities with the Hornady 400 grain bullets is 2425fps on the chronograph screen. The gun will shoot 1 to 1.25 inch groups set up like this. It is pillar bedded also. I've tried the Speer 350 Mag Tips at just over 2500 fps with good results also. The barrel on the gun is a 24 inch Douglas that I have fire lapped. The fire lapping seemed to pick up the velocity some but really helped with the barrel cleaning. What part of the Kootenays are you from?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Have to say that I am impressed that there are a large number of .416 Taylor fans out there that used a Ruger 77 action. I too have the .416 on a Ruger 77, Douglas Premium, that's been Magna Ported (including original open sites re-mounted) with Leupold Vari X III/ 1.5-5. I've been using it for 10 years now and it performs flawlessly. I started out with A-Square loadings for it, too spendy, thus I make my own now and thoroughly enjoy producing the loads. Using 400gr H, 350gr & 400gr Kodiak, 400gr Swift with many of the popular loading recipes.

"How much ammo should we have on hand now?"
"Do you think there will be a problem getting components in the near future?"

Just a couple of SOBERING thoughts.

JB

Posts: 116 | Location: Juneau, Alaska, U.S.A. | Registered: 25 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nifty rifle, Canuck and some killer velocity from your loads!
Like most others, I love the stock! I am really a big fan of laminated stocks on DGR's. Gotta get you some back-up iron sights on that thing though!

Happy shooting!

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Leeper:
Nice job on the stock finishing.
Hope you get that elk.

Thanks, and me too. I have been trying a bit, but no luck so far. 11 days to go in the season.

We've had a couple bugling all night long in the field. I told Sharon I don't want to kill him. I want to capture him then everytime he starts to go to sleep shriek in his ear! That's what I go through every night.

I know what you mean. There are some kids in the "sardine can" neighborhood I live in, that I would like to do the same thing to. Never thought I'd turn into the kind of grumpy neighbor I hated when I was a kid.

It's tough living here!

Can't say that I feel real sorry for you! Seriously, you have a beautiful place.

Thanks again for the great job on this rifle. I am so happy, as I am sure you can tell from my posts. Its a hit at the range too. You may be getting some calls from up the valley!

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470 Mbogo:
What chronograph do you use?
Just a Shooting Chrony, Beta Master model. It was the right price, and the Shooting Chronies seem to be right on if the light conditions are decent.

What is the weight of you 416 Taylor?
I am not absolutely sure. I don't have a set of postal or kitchen scales. I tried it on my bathroom scale last night, and it looks like about 8 3/4lbs. Coulda been 9 too. I hope to get a friend to weigh it for me soon though.

You have a very nice looking rifle there and you must be very happy with it.
Thanks, I am.

My Taylor is on a Ruger 77 with the tang saftey and a Bell Carlson stock. It has a barrel band front sling and a Leupold 1.5 to 5 scope on it. The weight is 9.25 lbs. The top velocities with the Hornady 400 grain bullets is 2425fps on the chronograph screen. The gun will shoot 1 to 1.25 inch groups set up like this. It is pillar bedded also. I've tried the Speer 350 Mag Tips at just over 2500 fps with good results also.
Sounds like you have a dandy there yourself. I'd like to here your moose story one day.

The barrel on the gun is a 24 inch Douglas that I have fire lapped. The fire lapping seemed to pick up the velocity some but really helped with the barrel cleaning.
The Douglas barrel on mine seems pretty smooth, and is cleaning up pretty good. I have a Douglas on my 6.5 that is a real b!tch to clean. I have considered fire lapping it, but have not spent the bucks to order the stuff from NECO. Do you know a Canadian place to get fire lapping supplies?

What part of the Kootenays are you from?
The Elk Valley. God's country!

[This message has been edited by Canuck (edited 10-09-2001).]

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:

"How much ammo should we have on hand now?"
"Do you think there will be a problem getting components in the near future?"

Just a couple of SOBERING thoughts.

JB

I plan on stocking up a bit. We rely on imports from the US for a lot of our supplies. I can see prices climbing and availability reducing if this is an extended campaign. Doesn't hurt to have a little extra on hand.

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnTheGreek:
I love the stock!
It really did turn out great. The picture doesn't really do it justice as the flash washed out the darker color.
Gotta get you some back-up iron sights on that thing though!
I know, I know!! The gun fund was getting a little dry. I plan to have some installed before ever taking it to Africa though.

JohnTheGreek[/B]

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BW:
I've been thinking about going with a laminate stock myself.

Brian,
Check out the Black/Grey version (charcoal/grey). It would look real b!tchin on your stainless Taylor!

Never made it to the range this weekend. Hope to get there soon though.

Canuck

[This message has been edited by Canuck (edited 10-09-2001).]

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
.470MBOGO,

I couldn't wait and had to buy a set of cheap kitchen scales yesterday. So to more accurately answer your question, my Taylor actually weighs in at a little over 9 3/4 lbs. By the time I get a sling on it, it will probably go 10 lbs.

Canuck

<R. A. Berry>
posted
Canuck,
Nice gun, great loads. Looking at the Richard's site I see that they offer all the stocks that I could ever need. I think I will foresake the synthetics and use the laminates henceforth. I just realized that I do have one of the Richard's stocks on a 460 Wby, BBK-02. You can pillar bed, cross bolt, checker, or finish however you like, and they are as good as anything going.

Richard's is the one that offers the BRNO ZKK 602 stock also, and that fits the CZ 550 Magnum with minimum alteration.

Nick: Forget the Rimrock and Armtek stocks for me. Richard's has it covered.

------------------
Good huntin', shootin', and spear chuckin',
RAB

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
RAB, I can't take any credit for the idea. Bill Leeper suggested the laminate stock and took care of the ordering.

For a little while I was not a big fan of Richard's Microfit. They took longer than promised to deliver the stock, and it turned out to be the wrong one! But they remedied the situation, and while I was getting a little impatient, since I have had the stock in my hot little hands I have been a pretty happy camper. I was never displeased with the price.

Bill Leeper has used quite a few of their stocks and could give a much better reference than myself.

FWIW, Canuck

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Here are a couple more pictures with less glare. Still don't really show the true color of the stock, but they are a little better. I need to find a place with better ambient light.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Canuck,

What model is that stock? I recently ordered an "old classic" in English walnut for my 416 Taylor. What did you think of the inletting and general fit? You have a very sharp looking gun.

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Todd,

I believe mine is the old classic model as well. Hopefully Bill Leeper reads this, as he would know for sure as he ordered it.

The action is kind of an oddball. The BBR is not too common, so Bill had to provide them with some dimensions. By the time I saw it, Bill had finished the inletting (to very tight tolerances!), so I can't speak for how much work it took. Bill did say it took a little elbow grease, but I am not sure if this is typical of the standard actions.

Canuck

one of us
posted Hide Post
The stocks as they come do appear to have been shaped and inletted by an angry and none too talented beaver. On the bright side said beaver does leave enough wood to work with in most cases. I have had a couple which had glitches in the semi-inletting which needed filling. For this reason I think it is preferable to order uninletted stocks and even specify that extra wood be left on the outside. If the grip is left fat forinstance it gives some latitude in the shaping and positioning of the grip.
Chris' stock is indeed the "Old Classic" style. I am not dissatisfied with the product though they aren't in the same class as Fajen. Delivery estimates are wishful thinking but the people are pleasant to deal with. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3532 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You're freakin' me out here. I actually ordered the OVERSIZED inletting to allow for easy bedding! I hope it isn't sized to fit a magnum mauser action. I also specified the round forearm -- is that what Canuck has (it looks round)? Also, how does the shadow line cheekpiece look?

The reason I ask all these question is (after I ordered of course), I ran into a thread about how the "old classic" as shipped looks nothing like the one on their website, but is instead the monte carlo with the hump ground off on a belt sander.

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Todd,

The forend is oval, but Bill worked it a bit and removed about 2.5 inches off the tip. So the end does look rounded.

I think the shadow line cheek-piece looks great, but again, I don't know if Bill did a bunch of work on it or not.

I'll let Bill answer the rest of your questions.

Canuck

one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Canuck:
Hi Canuck,
If your interested in fire lapping your barrel that's a bitch to clean send me some bullets and I'll put the fire lapping grit on them for you. My Neco kit has 220,400,800 and 1200 grit for polishing. I would suggest 4 shots with the 220 grit, 6 with the 400 grit, 8 with the 800 grit and 10 with the polishing 1200 grit. So if you send me 28 bullets I'll coat them, ID them and send them back to you. Email me and I'll give you my address. 470 Mbogo