Find
Notify
Tools

.458 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted
Whitworth Express .458 Good or Bad?

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Mitch>
posted
over40, The Whitworth is nice rifle for the money,they were good accurate rifles. The Whitworths I have handled were made at least 10 yrs. ago so I don't know how good the new ones are.

posted Hide Post
There are no "new ones" that I am aware of.
These are good rifles with attractive styling and nice wood. There is no reason to avoid buying one. A buddys' .375 shot extremely well right out of the box.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
<R. A. Berry>
posted
I will add my $0.02 worth. I own a half dozen factory or custom rifles built on this action. It is what I cut my teeth on. They are a decent Mauser that can be made as good as you want with some work. I guess the war years in Yugoslavia cut off the supply of these actions and rifles.

------------------
Good huntin' and shootin',
Bwanawannabe, Daktari Ron

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've never seen one that wouldn't shoot..I'd open it up to the 458 Lott if it were mine, and glass bed it and add a recoil lug on the barrel if it doesn't have one. I always added a m-70 Safty and Blackburn trigger, then a drop box and custom stock, but I'm a tinkerer...Nice guns.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41880 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replys. I bought it, I'll see how it shoots saturday. It,s almost NIB, he only put ten rounds thru it.

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
Gentleman, it shoots great! It has been glass bedded and a recoil lug added under the barrel. I'm considering a mod 70 safety but not sure what to do with the hole left by the tang safety.

one of us
posted Hide Post
O/40,
You can fill the hole with matching wood or just glass...all you need is a M-70 3-pos. safty and a blackburn trigger...Blackburn triggers sit back in the trigger guard where they belong as opposed to in the center of the trigger like a timney or some other triggers. Sounds like that gun is all set up..A good handload at 2100 FPS with a 500 gr. bullet and your in the DGR business and well armed...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41880 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote