THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Shot a true big bore for the 1st time!!!

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shot a true big bore for the 1st time!!! Login/Join

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted
Last sunday I was in Salt Lake City on leave for the weekend. 500Grains who also lives in SLC informed me that Sigarms would be at a local range with some of their big boys for people to play with. I jumped all over it. The brought their enterage of R93's in various configurations and calibers and also a 470 NE double that had 375 barrels also. The sponsor of the event started me on a R93 in 375 and I put several rounds down range. While I was impressed with the smoothness of the action and especially its sub-MOA accuracy I want CRF on a DGR. I then moved up to a 416 Rem for a few shots. Recoil in both rifles was very managable. Far less than I was expecting. The he put me on the double which had the 375 barrels installed. Shooting it was a blast. The handling charecteristics were great and it distributed the recoil very nicely. My 103 pound sister-in-law even shot a couple rounds in it and loved it. Then he swapped the barrels for the 470 NE. That is one HUGE!!!! cartridge!!! I shot 2 rounds and it did push me around pretty good. It rocked my front foot clear off the ground. I wouldnt consider it painful to shoot though. And it definately is not for the weak hearted to shoot. My sister-in-law was upset that we wouldnt let her shoot the 470. I was worried that as slender as she is it would bust her up. After having shot big bores and a double gun all I can say is that is is WAY COOL. Now I just have to find a way to put one in the gun safe. I dont think my wife is going to support this one too much.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
Sounds like it was a blast.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What you do is tell your wife that the larger case of the big bore magnum rifle will allow you to load it to a lower pressure and it will be safer for you to shoot. Then it shows her caring for you if she lets you build it. :-)

Have that Argentine built into a 404 Jeffrey's, that should do the job for ya!

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
DagoRed,
The 1909 is going to become a very nice 375. Lilja quarter rib barrel, B lackburn drop belly bottom metal, etc... But a big bore is in the future. After shooting one I just gotta have one.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote