The Accurate Reloading Forums
Shot a true big bore for the 1st time!!!

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4711043/m/970108241

14 July 2004, 07:23
M1Tanker
Shot a true big bore for the 1st time!!!
Last sunday I was in Salt Lake City on leave for the weekend. 500Grains who also lives in SLC informed me that Sigarms would be at a local range with some of their big boys for people to play with. I jumped all over it. The brought their enterage of R93's in various configurations and calibers and also a 470 NE double that had 375 barrels also. The sponsor of the event started me on a R93 in 375 and I put several rounds down range. While I was impressed with the smoothness of the action and especially its sub-MOA accuracy I want CRF on a DGR. I then moved up to a 416 Rem for a few shots. Recoil in both rifles was very managable. Far less than I was expecting. The he put me on the double which had the 375 barrels installed. Shooting it was a blast. The handling charecteristics were great and it distributed the recoil very nicely. My 103 pound sister-in-law even shot a couple rounds in it and loved it. Then he swapped the barrels for the 470 NE. That is one HUGE!!!! cartridge!!! I shot 2 rounds and it did push me around pretty good. It rocked my front foot clear off the ground. I wouldnt consider it painful to shoot though. And it definately is not for the weak hearted to shoot. My sister-in-law was upset that we wouldnt let her shoot the 470. I was worried that as slender as she is it would bust her up. After having shot big bores and a double gun all I can say is that is is WAY COOL. Now I just have to find a way to put one in the gun safe. I dont think my wife is going to support this one too much.
14 July 2004, 07:43
Lar45
Sounds like it was a blast.
14 July 2004, 07:53
Dago Red
What you do is tell your wife that the larger case of the big bore magnum rifle will allow you to load it to a lower pressure and it will be safer for you to shoot. Then it shows her caring for you if she lets you build it. :-)

Have that Argentine built into a 404 Jeffrey's, that should do the job for ya!

Red
14 July 2004, 08:54
M1Tanker
DagoRed,
The 1909 is going to become a very nice 375. Lilja quarter rib barrel, B lackburn drop belly bottom metal, etc... But a big bore is in the future. After shooting one I just gotta have one.