Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pre 64, 375HH; sights? Login/Join

<Terry P>
posted
My rifle is a 1958 model and has a high comb.The rifle just shoots great. When I first got it I put a 4X Redfield on it to try it out and it put 7 of my handloads (Hornady softs and solids)in a 1 1/4" group. So the rifle is a keeper but I can't see down the open sights because of the high comb. I tried shooting it the other day, with the irons, but it shoots about 21/2" high at 25. I am going to try to keep the original front ramp and get a taller front sight but does anyone know what kind of taller rear sight I could get? I started to leave everything like it is but I am going to install the Talley's and it would be nice to have a nice set of irons.
Thanks,
Terry

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Terry,

I also carry a pre-64 M70 .375 H&H. I have not not have the difficulty with the factory irons you describe. My rifle has been re-stocked with a McMillan Supergrade synthetic. This stock works very well for me with the irons as well as a Zeiss 1.5 x 6 scope, (30mm tube with 42 mm obj). The high comb 70s do not come up well for me with factory iron sights either.

My preference is for iron sights, (peeps), however when working loads or shooting varmints, I like to mount the Zeiss. With the Buehler mounts & rings, this was a laborious process.

Dale Story slapped me around a short while ago and ordered a set of Talley QD rings, (low), and mounts for my rifle and ordered me to bring the arm to his shop!

He installed them, after making certain the factory irons were still usable with the mounts in place, and also surprised me with the Talley rear peep sight he had failed to mention.

The finished product is outstanding. I should have done this years ago. The changes came about during a conversation with Dale as I was preparing to install a new Williams rear aperature to replace the one I had banged up in the rimrock country.

I am really impressed with the Talley components and just gave them a workout yesterday in the prairie rat valleys.

The Talley rear peep is just high enough that you may find it functional with your high comb.

If you think it might help, I could have a friend shoot some digital pictures of my setup this week and email them to you. The Talley web site does not give much information on the peep sight other than cost.

Regards,

------------------
~Holmes

"Those who appease a tiger do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last."
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Terry P>
posted
Holmes,
That just might be the thing for me too do. That way I wouldn't have to modify anything on the old rifle. Just take off the rear sight. If you could get me any pics that would be great. I have shot several peeps and I also like them.
Thanks alot,
Terry

one of us
posted Hide Post

I just take a rasp to the comb and set the gun up for iron sights....the low combs shoot and handle just as well with a scope as the high combs..but not visa versa......

After shooting a number of fine old old English rifles, such as Westley Richards, Holland and Hollands, I realized that the gun writers and custom stock makers have brain washed the general public into believing they can shoot better with a high comb, which is pure bunk in my (tested throughly) opinnion on many shooters including myself..a little cast off helps..
All my custom big bores are low combed...

Many an old hunter grew up shooting low combed M-70's and 721's and I never heard any of them complain...but many a baby boomer will argue this point without even giving it a chance, but they cannot give an instance where a low comb with a scope caused them to miss an animal....Experienced hunters know this..and a big bore with less than perfect iron sights is worthless to me...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41885 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry,
My friend will be back in town on Wednesday and I shall steal his camera and get you some pics.

Ray,
I agree. Another thing that really amazes me is the wholesale dependence upon scopes these days, especially among the younger hunters. When I unscope my rifle some of these guys think I am seriously brain damaged.

I once attended a three gun shoot and used my .375 for the "combat rifle" segment. One of the participants walked up to me as I was removing the scope and said, "You might want to keep that on there. The final phase of this segment is out at 150 yards."

These are rather large steel plates we were shooting at. It would have required little effort to slam them with a good .44 revolver!

While not as fast as the "combat shooters", I had no problem completing the match with what I was told was a respectable score. I have not been invited back as my loads apparently damaged some of the targets.

I had best keep to the prairie and the mountains!

Regards,

------------------
~Holmes

"Those who appease a tiger do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last."
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Terry P>
posted
Ray,
I agree with you on the high combs. I didn't think the comb on this rifle would be that high though. Maybe more like the Winchesters they are making now. If I had it to do again I would wait out a low comb rifle. I think I may be able to fix it with the Talley peep sight though. I would use my 416 for my open sighted big bore most of the time. The 375 will be scoped most of the time and I hope the high comb might lend itself to a quicker sight picture with the scope. I had been looking for one of these rifles for awhile and wouldn't you know it---after I bought mine , my partner and I walked into a gun show in Houston and he found a nice low combed pre 64 , $200 less than what I paid for mine. I'm still trying to talk him out of it.
Speaking of high combs, the new Winchesters are a little too high for me. Their African custom rifle fits fine but the standard rifle is hard for me to see down the sights without really pressing my face down on it. It must be the difference in the sights (height ?). I have looked at several of these. I was surprised that Winchester stocked their new Safari rifle like that. My freind has the same problem with these. If it were not for that I would own one of those rifles now.
Terry

one of us
posted Hide Post
Most factors are into high combs due mostly to BS produced by magazines and some gun writers who subscribe to the theoretical 3 point shooting system of a stock, cheek, arm pushing the stock down into the arm and shoulder forming a "fantasy wedge" as I call it...Anytime you put strain on any part of the shooting body you are reducing accuracy in my opinion....Why aggravate a quiver..

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41885 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote