Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice on Win. Model 70 Login/Join

one of us
posted
After years as a happy Remington user, I am considering getting a Win Model 70 in 416 Remington. Blue and walnut. Since its been 20 years since I owned a Winchester I need any help or advice anyone can offer.

Other than general wood/metal fit, quality of wood, etc. is there anything I need to look (out) for? Any problems that crop up or just advice?

The one I'm looking at right now is NIB.

Thanks in advance, Joe.

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Terry P>
posted
Like you said just take a look at the wood and metal fit etc. I have talked to people who have owned these and are very satisfied and say they are accurate. Make sure you can see down the iron sights OK. The stock is just a little high for me.
One other thing to check after you get it : After firing a couple of times make sure it will feed another round (right after you fire--in other words like rapid fire). My son had a 300 Win in a stainless that would not feed after the barrel was hot from 1 shot. I think we were using some thick brass and I'm sure a gunsmith could have fixed this easily. Just a FYI.
For the money spent I don't think you can beat a Mod 70.
Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jmac,
I just purchased a rifle of this make and calibre a couple of months ago for an upcoming hunt. I believe the quality of these is as good as one is going to find in a factory rifle for the price.
IMHO, however, there are definitely things that need to be done to the weapon but none of these is terribly expensive. I would recommend a third recessed screw on the front sight ramp and all three of them should be held in with loc-tite. You might also consider trashing the front sight shroud as it is one more thing to snag a branch while in the field. I also think glass bedding is a wise move (although some may disagree with me, I think you will eventually crack the factory stock in its absence) and a trigger job.
Depending upon ones preferences, you might also consider removal of the rear sight and installation of either a Talley rear peep sight or a Brockman's pop-up peep sight (these are damn neat) that doubles as a rear scope base accepting Talley rings.
Speaking of scopes, yesterday I ordered a matte finish Leupold 2.5x compact with a #1 German post reticle and coin click windage and elevation adjustments. This scope, complete with Leupold QD bases and rings came in at a more than reasonable price from Premier reticles in, coincidentally, Winchester Virginia. According to PR, I should have the scope in my hot little hands by tomorrow. This scope, a 1.5-5x VXIII or a 1-4x VXII seem, by general concensus, to be the ticket.
I also had the wonderful newly designed one-piece bottom metal sand blasted and finished in matte blue to match the upper half of the gun. It then occured to me that the jewelled bolt also shines like a diamond. I promptly had a matte finish done here as well.
Aside from these things, I would just make sure your rifle feeds well with your chosen ammo and if it doesn't maybe have some rail and mag work done. Otherwise, be done with it and remember to hold your ground and shoot straight!

Regards,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
<Snake>
posted
jmac,

After firing it a bit be certain to load up the mag and work the bolt in a vigorous manner down to the last cartridge. My .375 developed a somewhat annoying habit of letting the last cartridge pop off the top of the follower and onto the tops of my boots. The guy I had correct it told me it wasn't uncommon, particularly if the rifle had been fired a bit (I had probably 500 rds through mine at the time) but he corrected it easily.

This is, of course, a less than desireable feature in a rifle one uses to hunt brown bears and cape buffalo with...

<Don G>
posted
JMac,

I have one of the previous model (yours has better bottom metal.)

Mine shot great groups after the barrel heated up, but was useless for hunting as it moved 3-5 inches at 100 yards in the first three shots!

This was due to the barrel recoil lug. The barrel was warped in the WELDING process used to attach it. The first barrel was warped so badly it could not be zeroed. The factory replacment could be zeroed, but the point of impact was well below the boresight (like two feet!) If your barrel acts like this, don't bother with a factory warranty replacement, and don't try to "find a load" just have a quality barrel fitted. You will be money ahead in the long run.

Check out the Cutrifle Express Project thread on our BigBore Forum.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JMac,

The problem Don talks about with the recoil lug is quite common. Can be real bad with the 458s, perhaps because of the thin walled barrel.

As Don has pointed out they frequently shoot well below their bore sighting. Quite often they also shoot well to the left as well.

If bedded correctly they will often group OK but sighting in can be a problem and they often are very fussy with the loads.

I have just added this post so that you know Don's experience is not an isolated experience.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a nice 416 Rem. M-70 that I have gone through and it feeds, extracts and shoots very well...It has a custom laminated stock and is polycoated OD Green, goes nice with the Laminated stock which is hand checkered, short F.E., Ebony F.E.tip, Egg cheek piece and solid London guns pad...glassed and a nice set of regulated iron sights, barrel band swivel, talley bases, and scope and Talley rings are available, as well as lots of loaded ammo...A fool proof BGR ready to stake your life on... one week Inspection priviledge, money back guarentee, no questions.

I have my new 404 Jefferys on the way, so I have decided to sell this one....

If interrested give me a call or email
Ray 208-326-4120 email atkhunt@mindspring.com

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies.
Since I had my mind set on a factory gun, blue and walnut, I made a deal on one from George Caswell at Champlin Arms.
I bought and paid for it but the instant check was constipated so I'll pick it up later this week.
Also picked up a hundred rounds of brass at the Tulsa gun show and have Redding dies and Speer 350 grain bullets.
I'm ready to see how this thing will shoot!
Thanks again, I'm sure I'll be asking more questions later, Joe.

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote