Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ruger rechamber Login/Join

One of Us
posted
from a previous post, it was suggested a ruger #1 in 458 could be rechambered to 450 NE. I've heard of guys rechambering to 460 weatherby, but JD Jones told me that when he did it, he had to open his action using a hammer after he fired it. Anyone know if this is a good or bad idea(rechambering..not using the hammer Wink ). thanks in advance. wk

Posts: 63 | Location: Maryville, MO | Registered: 30 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whether you rechamber the 458 Ruger # 1 to 450 NE or 460 Wby.....I assume you will be reloading....the pressures are determined by you.

Example....460 Wby, 500 grain Hornady, 85 grains of 4064 (no fillers required), velocity is just over 2000 f/s. With 4064 and 500 grain Hornadys a 460 will top out at about 105 grains of 4064 (slight hint of ejector marks appearing). So as you can see the 85 grains of 4064 is a very low pressure load.

You determine the pressures.

No direspect meant, but if you are converting a Ruger 458 to 460...I don't believe you will be stocking up on 460 Wby factory ammo Smiler

Mike

Posts: 577 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 24 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of trophyhunter5000
posted Hide Post
A long, long time ago in a land far, far away………

I had the same idea, so I called Mark Penrod @ Penrod Precision. Mr. Penrod would not do a rechambering of my No1 458 to 460. He said that the chamber walls of the rifle would be way to thin after reaming to have much of a margin of safety.

Now I’m not one to question Mr. Penrod, but ya do see a few reworked No1s around. I emailed Geoff McDonald of Woodleigh bullets for load data for the 505 Gibbs and his test rifle was a No1! Mr. McDonald went on to say that I should be able to best his loads in a bolt gun (I assume he meant by the bolt gun having a larger safety margin than his No1.).

Ya can control your pressures by hand loading, but what’s the point in down loading a 460? If ya want lower performance levels than just leave the No1 a Lott and save your money.

With so many people (whom are all smarter than me) up in the air over what the No1 can go to, I’d either leave it alone or stick with one of the large, low pressure, rimmed cartridges for a rechamber job.

If ya want something bigger than go to a bolt gun………

Best of luck……..

Matt V.

Posts: 781 | Location: The Mountain State | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had a #1 rechambered to 460. No problems at all, go ahead and load her up. Recoil with the factory stock is going to be your limiting factor. Magnaported with a brake it was still very ugly with full power heavy bullet loads. I should say standing it wasn't bad at all, off the bench a whole different story.

Posts: 558 | Location: Southwest B.C. | Registered: 16 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i realize the velocity gains would be smaller but why not just do a .458 lott ?
I have looked in lots of books and can't find an outfitter who will take me after a t-rex, so i think the lott should be enough cartridge ?
...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, I look at this in a different way! I believe the Ruger No1 will handle any presure any bolt rifle will handle. The limiting factor is the cartridge size, bolt or No1. If the cartridge is so large that it makes the chamber walls too thin,and causes an action to seize, then it is too large for the action, and should not be done. I believe it should be against the law to chamber a rifle to a factory cartridge that had to be down loaded in order to make it safe to shoot. What happens when the next guy gets this rifle, and simply buys a box of factory WBY ammo for it?

The origenal poster asks if re-chambering a Ruger No1, that is already chambered for 450NE, or 458 Win Mag, to 460WBY is a bad idea. My answer is IMO, it is a bad idea to chamber any rifle to 460WBY! I would far rather have the 450NE 3 1/4". If you must re-chamber a 458 Win Mag No1, then the cheapest, and best choice would be the 458 LOTT. You could load this down to 450NE level if you wanted, but factory ammo for the LOTT could be used quite safely, and in a pinch, 458 Win Mag could be used as well!

...........................Just one man's opinion! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think a #1 rechambered to 450#2 would be a neat toy.I thought about getting the one I have in 458Lott just sitting in the safe done.

It's always so quiet when the goldfish die.(Bror Blixen)

DRSS
Merkel 470 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is the case capacity of the 450 3 1/4 shell......It should be able to be loaded up a little shouldn,t it.......Sure seems expensive tho.......

if there were sasquaches , some miner would have a recipe for them

Posts: 40 | Location: sheltered from the north wind | Registered: 01 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it were me, I would call Mr Penrod and ask him "...why is it Ruger will sell #1's chambered in 416 Rigby...".
Personally, I just think he didn't want to mess with it and put you off with the "not enough barrel diameter" story.

But, that's just me....

Rich
NRA Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bruce Betrams son of "Bertram Brass" has a Ruger #1 done to .500 nitro, it is a nice gun. It would be fine to go to .460, someone on this board that used to post as "Diesel"if I remember correctly had a #1 converted to .577 !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed has a Ruger #1 in 460 Wby. In fact it is in some of his "recoil" videos.

I think the Ruger # 1 has a one inch thread on the barrel. That might concern some people.

Posts: 577 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 24 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The other thing is the holes drilled over the chamber area for mounting of the quarter rib with screws and pins. Sometimes those holes go deeper than they need to and it is a case-by-case basis in measuring the depths of those holes. The 450NE is little fatter than the .458 WM&Lott in that regard, cleans up the old chamber nicely, is usually a safe rechamber, and it is for a rimmed cartridge, which makes it the most cool rechamber option. Otherwise rebarrel.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of trophyhunter5000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
If it were me, I would call Mr Penrod and ask him "...why is it Ruger will sell #1's chambered in 416 Rigby...".
Personally, I just think he didn't want to mess with it and put you off with the "not enough barrel diameter" story.

But, that's just me....

Rich
NRA Life Member
DRSS

I've wondered the same thing, there is alot of higher pressure data out there for the Rigby. I wonder what Ruger would say about that?

Posts: 781 | Location: The Mountain State | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote