THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    CZ 505 Gibbs at my local shop

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ 505 Gibbs at my local shop Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted
Wandered in to a small shop here in town that is law enforcement/tactical oriented, and to my surprise, saw a big bore on the rack.

It was a CZ 505 Gibss for $1940. Nice wood, handled nicely.....they also had a box of Federal 470 NE on the shelf, for $398...

Wonders never cease- they say these items were not special order by a customer/not picked up, just regular stock items...

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Wait three months, and offer the shopowner $1200 for that rifle. Wink

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
Good idea George...I have been trying to find info on the recoil of this beast- Ihave a 458 Lott that I can shoot.....but the 505....although it sounds fun, it may be unpleassnt. Anybody know what kind of recoil this produes, or another more common caliber to compare it to?

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
lets see here

458 lott 500 grain bullet at 2300 fps.

505 gibs 525 grain bullet at 2350 (tradtional load)

modern load 505 gibs 600 grain at 2300-2400fps

recoil is damn near the same a bit stiffer in the heavyer 600 grain loading.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of trophyhunter5000
posted Hide Post

That’s a pretty good price on the CZ (at least $300 less than what I paid). I have a hard time believing that it was not a special order item (or perhaps used). The shop owner might be pulling your leg. If the rifle is used check it over thoroughly. If your interested make him an offer and see if he’ll met you in the middle.

As far as recoil is concerned I think my Gibbs kicks a hell of a lot worse than my Lott. With the traditional 525 grain loading it is probably on par with the Lott. But my top loads of 600@2300 kick pretty hard, well over 100 ft-lbs of recoil energy. But if you can handle the Lott you can learn to handle the Gibbs.

OBTW;

See if the rifle has cross bolts, CZ is going to be offering dual cross bolts and dual merc tubes as standard items in the future.

Matt V.

Posts: 781 | Location: The Mountain State | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
Thats high for the ammo, Midway just raised there ammo prices and depending on which bullet you want there federal ammo goes for $250-$280, for a box of 20

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote