Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

500 caliber on BRNO 602 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Brno 602 with which I would like to build a 500 caliber, the question is which one? I will be using X bullets and the sole purpose is hunting. All opinions are greatly appreciated.

Posts: 1852 | Location: Prairieville,Louisiana, USA | Registered: 09 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Mitch>
posted
MLindsay, The 500 A-Square would be your best bet. Because there is plenty of good quality reasonably priced brass available for this cartridge, unlike many of the other 500s. All you have to do is neck up 460 wby. brass. The 500 A2 is a very powerful cartridge that can push a 600 gr. bullet to 2400 fps. with no problems. I own a 500 A-Square that I had built on a Weatherby Mark V action and I have been happy with it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mitch:
MLindsay, The 500 A-Square would be your best bet. Because there is plenty of good quality reasonably priced brass available for this cartridge, unlike many of the other 500s. All you have to do is neck up 460 wby. brass. The 500 A2 is a very powerful cartridge that can push a 600 gr. bullet to 2400 fps. with no problems. I own a 500 A-Square that I had built on a Weatherby Mark V action and I have been happy with it.

I have problems with my 450 Ackley as far as case capacity with 500 grain X-bullets. Do you have experience with X-bullets and your 500 A-square.

Posts: 1852 | Location: Prairieville,Louisiana, USA | Registered: 09 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Mitch>
posted
MLindsay, I have used X bullets in my 500 A-Square. These bullets are 570 grs. and are not nearly as long as the 500 gr. 458 bullet.
I generally use Reloader 15 with the 570 gr. Barnes X in my 500. 114 grs. of RL. 15 gives me over 2400 fps. and is not a compressed load.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mitch
I read in the reloading section about the 505 Gibbs loads with Dacron filler. It seems this reduced recoil without velocity loss. I've never heard of such a thing. Opinion?

<Mitch>
posted
MLindsay, A load with a lighter powder charge will have a bit less recoil than a load with a heavier powder charge at the same velocity. Using a filler with a relatively light charge of fast powder is one method of achieving this. But if you are looking for max. or close to velocity in the 505 Gibbs using a filler and a fast powder will not work. Because you will reach max. pressure with a fast powder long before you reach the max. velocity the cartridge is capable of. A slower burning powder would be called for if this is your aim. Much higher velocitys could have been achieved if a much slower propellant had been used. Personally I prefer to use the slower burning powders that fill much more of the case, and eliminate the need for fillers.

[This message has been edited by Mitch (edited 10-10-2001).]

posted Hide Post
MLindsey,
The use of fillers is a long standing practice. When a certain velocity plateau is desired and one wishes to burn a minimum of powder in an effort to reduce both recoil and muzzle blast, fillers can be quite useful. In the instance alluded to in the reloading section, for example, 2,300 FPS was the desired velocity using 600 grain bullets. This velocity plateau was acheived while burning charges of 25 to 30 grains less powder than those required when employing powders of the usually associated burnrates. In a .505 Gibbs hunting rifle, with no muzzlebreak or special recoil pad and firng 570 & 600 grain bullets, the gains in rifle managability were worth the effort, in my view.

[This message has been edited by Nickudu (edited 10-11-2001).]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NicKudu
I am in the research phase of building a 500 caliber and wanted to shoot the 570 grn. X-bullet at 2400 fps.
Is the filler used to just keep a faster burning powder than normally used packed next to the primer?
I am concerned with rifle control for follow up shots, therefore the recoil level described with that 505 is interesting.
I hunt in the rainforest of southeastern Cameroon and sometimes things happen very fast and recovery time is important.

one of us
posted Hide Post
MLindsay, the A-Square manual recommends against the use of filler. My copy is out on loan, so I do not have it in front of me at the moment, but my recollection is that they found dangerous variations in pressure with the use of filler.

I'm not inclined to accept this conclusion, because it seems to me that there can't be much difference between filler and 4 or 5 more grains of bullet. I feel I have to trust the people with pressure guns and statistically significant data, though.

Posts: 264 | Location: Grand Prairie, TX, USA | Registered: 17 September 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Call me conservative, but the thought of using fillers with slightly faster powders, and max level loads kinda gives me the woolies. Most of all, ammo should be as consistant, and foolproof as possible. Adding a filler is simply complicating things.

As far as a 500/460 shooting 570's at 2400, I would think that would be nearly maxing out what the round would do, and I wouldn't think there would be a faster powder that would achieve those speeds, and signifigantly reduce recoil. Lets face it, if you are going to push a 570 gr bullet 2400 from a rifle, its going to push back. I am intriqued with that combo though, and it is my goal load for my 500 jeffrey, whenever it gets finished.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<500 AHR>
posted
MLindsay,

If you are concerned about recovery time and are planning on launching a 570 gr bullet at 2400 fps you must be planning on having one heavy rifle!

I have a 500 AHR and recovery time is nowhere near as fast as with my 416 Rigby. Even with the muzzle brake I cannot match the recovery time I get with the Rigby. My hunting load by the way is a 570 Woodleigh at 2475 fps.

One important question you may need to ask yourself is how much power you truly need. The 500's kick very hard; therefore, recovery time is greatly reduced.

By they way, my recommendations in the 50 caliber bracket would be the 500 AHR or the 505 Gibbs.

Todd E

posted Hide Post
Men,
Keep in mind that we are speaking of two different cases of different capacity.
We are speaking of the acquisition of a desired 2,300 fps with the Gibbs casing, in one instance, and desired 2,400 fps in a case of somewhat lower volume, in the other. Point being, there will be no possibility of getting the 2,400 fps with anything but a full case of powder in the .500 casing, so no filler need be considered. Conversely, the Gibbs casing provides the 2,300 fps I was looking for, and then some, therefore the option existed to try a faster powder in conjunction with a bit of Dacron filler. Three ounces of Dacron, compressed under a 600 grain Barnes Super Solid, amounts to very little in actual thickness but firms up the powder column, eliminates airspace and at least in this instance, provided excellent standard deviation numbers.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
<R. A. Berry>
posted
MLindsay,
I have a BRNO ZKK 602 that has ".510/460 Weatherby Improved Jenkins and Berry" engraved on the barrel, just so I don't have to call it a 500 A-Square. The excellent Weatherby brass has a headstamp that matches the "460 Weatherby" part of the barrel engraving. It has a three position safety from Precisicion Metalsmithing, custom trigger, etc.

The BRNO action is excellent with the proper gunsmithing.

The 500 A-Square or .510/460 Long type cartridge is the best way to go for many reasons.

The 505 Gibbs, 500 Jeffery, and 500 AHR all have larger case capacity. Unless going with the rebated rim Jeffery case, you really ought to get a Dakota or bigger bolt diameter for those monster rims. I hate seeing a CZ or BRNO opened up in the bolt face to 505 Gibbs diameter, though it can be done.

The .510/460 is the most efficient at delivering your goal ballistics with the minimum fuss all around: a full case of the most accurate RL-15 at the least charge weight to produce the desired velocity with the least recoil and safe pressures, below 50,000 PSI, I believe. Refer to the A-Square Manual, still one of the best books out there.

The only negative about it is that it head spaces on the belt. This is no more a negative than it is for the 458 Lott. Feeds fine in my gun.

------------------
Good huntin', shootin', and spear chuckin',
RAB

one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys I really appreciate all the input. I just discovered this website and these forums are tremendous.

I currently carry a 450 Ackley in my journeys and it has done everything I need but!!!! I guess I want something new and researching and tinkering is wonderful.

What brought this discussion on was the info on the 505 loads. The recoil data found here gives it a rating of 1623.3 which is barely higher than my 450.
I know 570 grains at 2400 will push back but if there is a load technique available that will decrease that I don't mind trying it.
Plus my buddy from Cameroon is giving me a Brno 602 with the 3 position safety installed and some other bells and whistles.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Todd E,
Have you shot anything with your woodleighs yet?Just wondering how the big woodleighs perform at 300 odd fps over nitro express velocities.

Thanks,
Karl.

Posts: 3532 | Location: various | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Todd E: 2475fps with 570gr bullet - what load you use and what pressure it could work at ? What is your barrel length ? I think it cans do same or more than .500A2 with lower pressure and lower recoil, is it true ?

Jiri

Posts: 2076 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<500 AHR>
posted
Karl,

Haven't been to Africa yet with this rifle. I have shot an American Bison and a Moose with it though. Bullet performance was good although I did not get to recover either bullet. The effect on the animal was devasting, they just fell (or should I say got knocked) over. Both one shot kills through the shoulder/spine complete penetration. Bison around 100 yards, moose around 150 yards.

Jiri,
I hesitate to publish loads, that said this load is safe in my particular rifle and is;
132.5 grains of IMR 4350 with a 570 grain soft point Woodleigh. I don't remember the min/max velocities and I am too lazy to go and look them back up. I have no pressure measuring equipment, but there are no signs of pressure with the case. Barrel length is 27 inches.

Todd E

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nickudu or anyone that has shot a 505 with described loads, is the recoil at the level stated?

<500 AHR>
posted
MLinday,

As I stated earlier the 500's push back somewhat more than any 458 variable. For reference I have owned the 500 AHR, 505 Gibbs, and a 460 Weatherby and others. Of those the 500 AHR (my load) is the worst, the factory loads for the Gibbs are not that bad actually a little less severe than the Weatherby. The load that you describe 570 grain @ 2400 fps will kick pretty darn good in a 11 pound rifle. If your rifle weighs in at 13 pounds or so the recoil will be much more manageable. Futhermore, have you length of pull as long as you can comfortably handle and use a long barrel. Short barrels mean muzzle flip plain and simple. The LOPs on both my AHR and my Gibbs is/was 14.75" both sporting 27" barrels. The Weatherby was a factory stock MkV. The AHR and the Gibbs both pushed pretty much straight back and were very controlable during recoil. Additionally, you can incorporate a cast-off as well.

Todd E

[This message has been edited by Todd E (edited 10-13-2001).]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 13 pound 585 nyati with a muzzle brake and 28 inch barrel.

1. There is no muzzle blast due to the long tube. At least there is no muzzle blast that I can detect. Perhaps the recoil is distracting me.

2. The recoil will push my shoulder back a foot, but there is no muzzle rise to to a pretty good express stock.

3. The recoil is about like a 12 gauge 3 inch magnum turkey load, or maybe the 3.5 inch version.

4. Second time I shot this rifle, at shot #18 my nose started to bleed.

5. I have a 14" LOP and there is NO danger of the scope hitting my forehead, due to stock design.

6. 20 rounds per day is max in this rifle.

7. I have shot some groups under 1" at 100 yards with this setup.

Based on the above, I think that a 13 pound 500 jeff, 505 gibbs or 500A2 would be reasonably comfortable to shoot.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Todd,
I'll be using the 750gn 585 woodleighs at indentical velocity to your 570gn. Both bullets have similar SD which is why I asked.
Thanks mate.

Karl

Posts: 3532 | Location: various | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MLindsay:
Hi MLindsay,
I'm seeing a lot of questions about recoil of various big bores. If you would like to see some comparisons you could take a look at my website. Go to www.470mbogo.com and look through the Comparing the Big Bores section and I think you will find some good information to guide you. 470 Mbogo

Posts: 1247 | Location: Sechelt B.C. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote