THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Any thought on a peep sight for big bores?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any thought on a peep sight for big bores? Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It’s tapped but no sign a rear sight was ever attached. Others may know much better but I was told that you would be able to tell if the sight was originally installed and had been removed. Still has the front hood. https://imgur.com/a/rOzBj2c

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kynoch:
It’s tapped but no sign a rear sight was ever attached. Others may know much better but I was told that you would be able to tell if the sight was originally installed and had been removed. Still has the front hood. https://imgur.com/a/rOzBj2c

Very cool. That rifle hits all the right spots - lovely.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kynoch:

My grandfather had a Mauser in .404 Jeffery.
It had a peep sight similar to the rifle in the picture, but we left the screw-in disc off the rifle to turn it into a "ghost ring". It worked very very well.

Posts: 468 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Baxter. It’s a cool gun and feel lucky to have come across it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is that a super grade? I see a black forend tip.

Posts: 1133 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you have a peep, then nix the barrel rear sight, it gets in the way big time on a DG rifle and its not suitable on any rifle unless it folds down out of the way..I simply does not work aligning two sights at the same time.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kda55, yes it’s a Super Grade. I believe that all .458s were.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice, thank you.

Posts: 1133 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most reliable sight for a true big bore in my opinion.

Posts: 10032 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Baxter,
One should keep his barrel clean of scope bases, rear iron sight other than perhaps a flip down in a barrel dove tail. if you have scope bases on the action, be sure the allow a clear view of the front sight.. I also prefer a thinner post than most Ive seen and with a peep or V..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote