Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Give me your opinion!!!!! Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm now totally decided that the .470 capstick is the round that I want to go with. However I have not heard from many people who have any kind of expirence with this particular cartridge. I go through lots of .375 H&H ammo so I figured I could just take some of the brass to make the .470. I think that it is a pretty good way to go? Another thing that I was wondering about is the recoil? I shoot a .416 Rigby that sits right at 9 1/2 pounds and to me that is pretty tolerable. If the 470 weighs in at about 10 1/2 or so I think that I'll make it.

------------------
JR

Posts: 1257 | Location: Colusa CA U.S.A. | Registered: 27 June 2001Reply With Quote
<R. A. Berry>
posted
JR,
I think you are right on. I am still waiting for mine. Kevin has been a busy fella lately, on somebody elses stuff, not mine. My barrel will be 0.750" at the muzzle, 1 in 10" twist, on a Winchester Model 70 Super Express with factory wood stock properly bedded and reinforced. I am aiming for the 10 pound rifle also.

------------------
Good huntin' and shootin',
RAB

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey, thanks for the info. It seems that we have the same interest in rifles. Look forward to more of your ideas/insights.

------------------
JR

Posts: 1257 | Location: Colusa CA U.S.A. | Registered: 27 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 470 capstick built on a Mauser 98.

It weighs 14.75 pounds with scope, and muzzle brake.

The recoil is on par with a 25-06.

At 10.5 pounds with a brake, I think you will find it quite tolerable. Without a brake, it may take some getting used to.

My .470 is quite accurate and will shoot 3 shots touching whenever I am up to it.

And it does heinous damage to elk meat with a 500 grain Hawk soft point.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
JR,
You've made a good choice! When you pick a .470 over the .458WM, no one can tell you that their .45-70 is equal/superior to your .458WM!

I have a LH Winchester M-70 in .470 Capstick at about 10.75lbs. I shoot it every weekend so that I acclimate to it in advance of my buff hunt in November.

I have been shooting the .375H&H for 10 years. The recoil of the .470 Capstick in a 10.75lb rifle is about 180% of the .375 in
a 9.5lb rifle (74ft.-lbs. vs. 41ft.-lbs.).
That said, the recoil does not hurt. It is a great big shove; recovery is slow, but I don't get headaches, even after 9 rounds.

500grains' rifle is a tackdriver; I've seen the groups his rifle is capable of. Mine also seems to be accurate; even fireforming loads shoot MOA or better (2.5x scope).

The only 'rap' against the .470 is that there are NO inexpensive bullets available for it!

BTW, my fireforming load is 78.0 grains of IMR4064 with Barnes Original 500grFMJRN. Accurate, lighter recoil, and smashes rocks like you wouldn't believe!

500grains,
I've heard good things about Hawk bullets. Do they shoot well in your .470? What bullets do you use for "plinking"?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by JR
Hi JR,
You've made a good choice in the big bore catagory. If you want some comparisons of the different big bores as far as recoil and penetration etc.you can take a look at my website www.470mbogo.com and go to the Comparing the Big Bores section. Best of luck with your new rifle.
George S,
Have you tried casting bullets for your 470? They are great for plinking or for full loads if you get the right combination of mold and lube. I have the LBT mold for the computer paper patch bullets and they can be loaded to the full 2500 fps in my 470 Mbogo with no problem. LBT isn't in production at this time but there are many other mold companies out there that could make you a mold for your 470. Hawk bullets are good but they are not bonded core bullets. You can order them at the same weight with .035 or .065 jackets. Barnes originals are another option.
470 Mbogo

Posts: 1247 | Location: Sechelt B.C. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
470Mbogo,
No, I haven't tried cast bullets. I've only had the rifle about a month, and living in a condo, I don't have any safe place to melt lead & cast bullets. Want to cast some for me?
I checked Hawk Bullet's website, and their bullets are cheaper than the Barnes. I have Woodleigh softs and solids for hunting; I need some "plinkers" for practice and fireforming my practice brass from .375H&H.

How much did that bunter cost?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by GeorgeS:
GeorgeS,
If I remember correctly the bunter was around $125-150 US. You could contact Jay Bell from mast technologies and he could give you a firm price. I think they make 375 H&H, 378 Weatherby and 416 Rigby brass in the cylindrical form without any headstamp. I have some of the cast 500 grain round nose that I paper patched but didn't fold the paper around to the base of the bullet. If you would like some for plincking send me an e-mail. Without the paper acting like a gas check I don't think you should load them up to more than 1950 fps. 470 Mbogo

Posts: 1247 | Location: Sechelt B.C. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
George,

The Hawks are about $50.00 for a box of 50 .474 diameter bullets (500 grains). They shoot about 1.5 inches at 100 yards with my rifle.

You can also buy Speer .475 400 grain Gold Dot bullets for the .475 Linebaugh. Those shoot about 1.25 inch at 100 yards in my rifle. I think they are about $12 per box of 50, making for some very inexpensive plinking. However, not all of the powder burned in my loads, so my barrel got dirty. :-(

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
470Mbogo, please check your email.

500grains, I'm going to order some of the Hornady .475"/400s for laughs (and to see how fast I can push them (for bigger laughs)

The Hawks I was going to get were the 500 grain x.035" jacket. With luck, they'll shoot as well they do in your rifle.

I shot the .470 again today, this time at 100yards. The 500gr A-Square Monolithics shot about 2" for a 3-shot group; this is about at well as I can do with a 2.5x scope.
However, I hit football-sized rocks at 100yds. just about every time, and only miss by a bit when I don't.

I've got another set of QD rings on the way; when they get here, I'm going to put either a Leupold 6x42 or 3x-9x on it so I can evaluate loads (and shoot tighter groups).

George