THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    .416 Taylor is getting closer

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.416 Taylor is getting closer Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
UPS dropped off a long box from Brownell's on Thursday: a custom order Bell and Carlson Classic synthetic stock with integral aluminum bedding block in their No. 30 tan with black spider-webbing finish. I will drop this off Tuesday with my smith, who is building my .416 Taylor on a Brno Vz-24 action with wing safety, Bold trigger and Pac-nor heavy stainless barrel. I will top it with my old steel Weaver K 2.5 in Leupold mounts. The only thing left is bottom metal. I may just stick with the reshaped Czech guard and floorplate for now, but I would eventually like to find an Argentine 1909 Mauser guard and floorplate for it.
Not much dangerous game here in Oregon, but I have a hunch that with the fabulous RCBS 350-grain GC flatpoint over a dose of XMP5744, no bullseye will be safe at any reasonable hunting distance. Guess it is about time to order mould and dies.

Posts: 16421 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Hi Bill,
Your gun sounds really nice. Obviously you've taken some time and thought your project out well. I'll be looking forward to seeing some pictures of your Taylor. Mine is just in having a triple X recoil pad installed. You'll have a lot of fun with your gun. Try the 400 grain Hornady with a case full of reloader 15. 470 Mbogo

Posts: 1247 | Location: Sechelt B.C. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Bill-
Email me with your address and you'll have some nice '09 bottom metal in a week or so.

Forrest Bruch

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Forrest: Sent an e-mail. Thanks for your post!

Posts: 16421 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any word from your gunsmith on how many rounds he is getting in the magazine?

I'm sending out the various pieces 'n parts of a 416 Taylor this week - a VZ24 receiver with '09 Argentine bottom metal, & A&B barrel. Someday, maybe (?), Richard's Microfit will send me the stock I ordered, the 'old classic' in English.

Yours sounds very nice; I hope it turns out well.

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Bill.
The 416 Taylor is a very good choice. I've just buildt me one myself. I used it for it's first hunt this October. I shot 2 nordic mooses with it, and it worked perfect. This is a gun I already love.
(Mauser M98, 20" fluted, chrome moly A&B-barrel, Buttler Creek synth.stock, scoped w/Leup.1,5-5.XIII.)Total weight:3,7kg.

------------------
Shoot well, and hit hard.

Arild.

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote