Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big Bore Barrel Cleaning Login/Join

<Boltgun>
posted
I purchased a CZ550 in 416 Rigby and have been getting all of my cleaning materials together. I have not been able to find a bore guide and was wondering if one is necessary on such a large bore. If it is, where can I find one???
I also was looking at Brownells web site and found CZ550 safari actions for sale. Thanks for any help.
Bolt

<R. A. Berry>
posted
Boltgun,

Of course a bore guide is better than no bore guide. I have something by MTM or Stoneypoint (?) at home that I use. One of the bore guides used for the .416 Weatherby or .460 Weatherby I think. Sorry I can't be anymore specific.

------------------
Good huntin' and shootin',
Bwanawannabe, Daktari Ron

<Snake>
posted
Boltgun,

Sinclair's has them up to and including .416. I don't have a URL for them but I think if you search you'll find them. The full name may be Sinclair International.

<Don G>
posted
Try http://sinclairintl.com

hit "online catalog"

then "rod guides" under the cleaning supplies heading.

If they don't stock it, they'll make it. I'd get the cleaning port as well.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
Precision Reloading will custom make you one for about 29 bucks. It will take them a few weeks to make it. Call and rattle their cage and ask them to make it a regular item. They are making me one now. If you call quick they may make them both at the same time. They promised delivery the first of June. Good luck. "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Redbird>
posted
I also have a bore guide on order from Precision Reloading. They did not mention they were making any other of these custom guides. They requested that I call in info such as bolt diameter, etc. as if they had never done one. Also, was informed that they are in the process of moving the shop equipment for making bore guides and will have my done by the end of may. Seems like the interest in obtaining these would justify stocking them. Once the specifications for doing one are in , multiples should be easier.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Boltgun,
You can make one easy enough...Cut off the one of your 416 cases at the belt and glass or glue a piece of copper tubing, Pvc or whatever inside the case, push the tubing all the way in to the shoulder..Works as good as anything you can buy...On smaller calibers I use arrow shafts inserted into the case. You want a fairly snug fit..

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41942 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The best that I have used are Bore Tech's patch guide. They make them in three sizes and yes, I have one for my Rigby. I purchased mine from Lock, Stock & Barrel. http://www.lockstock.com/

They have a real big pan and opening to allow you to put solvent on your patch without making a mess.

------------------
RC

Posts: 1147 | Location: Ohio USA | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<R. A. Berry>
posted
Ray,
Now why didn't I think of that? Great idea. I will make my own and have all kinds of bore guides.

------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
RA,
You can even cut a slot in them for oil,cleaner, whatever application so they don't drip on your stock finish...
Kind of taper the end and run it in the case to the shoulder..On the small calibers use aluminum arrow shafts and make them all long enough to protrude out behind the action to about the comb...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41942 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<R. A. Berry>
posted
Bwana Ray,
I have some aluminum arrows to sacrifice and I will be collecting PVC tubing at the hardware store. Thanks for the tip. No worries about bore guides now.

------------------