THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Anybody shooting reduced cast load in .510 Well

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody shooting reduced cast load in .510 Well Login/Join

posted
I've got a .510 Wells Mag. and I'd like to shoot some cast bullets with it. I cast 437 grain bullets for my 50-70 Govt., and I would like to try shooting them in the .510 at reduced power. Somewhere around 1500 fps. would be cool.

Posts: 3 | Location: Buhl, Idaho USA | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately my 500 Jeffrey isn't finished yet, so I don't have any data. I would recomend starting with 15 gr unique, working up in 1 gr increments, til you get the velocity you are after, or till accuracy is decent. I use 15 gr unique and a 200 gr cast for 1500 in the 35 whelen, I know in the much larger case, you'll be at lower pressures. 2400 would also be a good powder to use, but you'll have to use heavier charges.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Well, finally able to help someone out.

I just so happen to have a load for cast bullets that the good folks at Accurate gave me.

XMR-5744 35 grains with a 575 grain cast, gas checked bullet. Gives me about 1050 feet per second.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote