THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    500 Jeffery Norma brass Discontinued ?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

500 Jeffery Norma brass Discontinued ? Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have read several times that Norma has discontinued producing 500 Jeffery brass ,but it is still listed by Norma on its website, is this true or not
Thanks
RC

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I've been using Jamison 500J brass, but I went on the Graf & Sons website and nothing to be found. Good thing I bought a bunch of cases years ago still have at least one hundred new ones.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4731 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Chuck ,
evidently there was/is a shortage of it, due to demand which led some people to believe Norma was no longer producing it

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Coincidentally, I stumbled on to a quantity of Nosler 500J brass on Gunbroker at what I'd consider a pretty good price. Here's a link to the seller - I have zero affiliation - only passing along.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/960870309

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is very timely! I delivered a 500 Jeff last year...Owner fired it over 120 times, He called saying he had one misfire...It was Facrory Norma.

To get to the chase..we got together and sure enough, about one out of four Norma facrory would not ignuite. No issue whatsoever with all other ammo including his hand loads.

Close examilnaion showesd the promer on new unfired rounds set perfectly flush with case, but the ones that did not fire has a very small indentation from the pin, but now the primers were .006- .012 below the base Did not have depth mike to get more accuarate readings.

He was leaving for Afrkca in two days and I had a long drive ahead of me, so further investigation will have to wait.

Just a heads up

Posts: 3461 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
This is very timely! I delivered a 500 Jeff last year...Owner fired it over 120 times, He called saying he had one misfire...It was Facrory Norma.

To get to the chase..we got together and sure enough, about one out of four Norma facrory would not ignuite. No issue whatsoever with all other ammo including his hand loads.

Close examilnaion showesd the promer on new unfired rounds set perfectly flush with case, but the ones that did not fire has a very small indentation from the pin, but now the primers were .006- .012 below the base Did not have depth mike to get more accuarate readings.

He was leaving for Afrkca in two days and I had a long drive ahead of me, so further investigation will have to wait.

Just a heads up

Not quite clear on the last part of your description but assuming you are saying the primers in the Norma factory ammo are not seated fully into the primer pocket?
Most reloading manuals advise the primer must be firmly seated so the anvil is bottomed out in the primer pocket which will see the primer surface sitting slightly below the case head, not flush with it. It is also mentioned by some, and I follow this practice, that seating the primer/anvil firmly into the pocket will sensitize it so even a slightly less than ideal firing pin blow will still fire the primer.

Hence I use my press to seat primers solidly into the case pockets and never have misfires in any rifle with either Boxer or Berdan primers.

Posts: 3858 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Hi Duane I had a similar problem with a new Rem XCR II in 375 H&H I bought for an Alaskan brown bear hunt I went on in 2011. A brand new rifle which also wouldn't feed factory Remington ammunition! Kevin Weaver installed a new heavier firing pin and spring, replaced the extractor. Works great now, but even though I have a BDL in 270 I bought in the late 60s and have hunted with for 40 years without an issue, I would never buy a new Remington 700. QC is non-existent.

Regards,

Chuck

Posts: 4731 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Would the rounds fire if tried a second time?

No excuse for primers being shallow seated in factory rounds, especially in DG ammo.

But a solution, if the rounds will fire a second time, would be to hand-seat all of the primers to full depth fresh out of the box.

At several dollars per round, I think I could be persuaded to give that a try!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
Would the rounds fire if tried a second time?

No excuse for primers being shallow seated in factory rounds, especially in DG ammo.

But a solution, if the rounds will fire a second time, would be to hand-seat all of the primers to full depth fresh out of the box.

At several dollars per round, I think I could be persuaded to give that a try!

H'mmm, those in the know warn about ever attempting to correct primer seating in loaded cartridges. While I always seat primers firmly using my press and have deprimed plenty of live primers for various reasons, all without ever having a primer discharge, I would never attempt to seat primers deeper in fully loaded ammo.

The effect of just a primer discharging in an empty case can be controlled well enough with safety glasses and keeping your head back from the case, the discharge of a primer in a fully loaded cartridge with a seated bullet would be catastrophic to say the least.
A primer discharging in these circumstances might never happen but the effects if one did makes me shudder to think of.

Posts: 3858 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, but I disagree. I have hand and press seated many thousands of Boxer primers. Maybe even tens of thousands.

They do not “go off.” The priming compound must be crushed against the anvil inside the primer for detonation to occur, and there is no way that pressing home an already partially but not fully seated primer can do that. Not with any modern primer seating tool.

But you may of course do or not do as you please.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robertcat:
I have read several times that Norma has discontinued producing 500 Jeffery brass ,but it is still listed by Norma on its website, is this true or not
Thanks
RC

If you're in the U.S. you can try these guys they say they have 4 20 packs left

https://www.rebelgunworks.com....ses-500-jeffrey-20pk

If you're in the U.K

https://www.reloadingsolutions...s-500-jeffery-20-bag

Haven't ever dealt with either of them, just an internet search

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

shocker

Posts: 41785 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sorry, but I disagree. I have hand and press seated many thousands of Boxer primers. Maybe even tens of thousands.

They do not “go off.” The priming compound must be crushed against the anvil inside the primer for detonation to occur, and there is no way that pressing home an already partially but not fully seated primer can do that. Not with any modern primer seating tool.

Like you I have also seated thousands of primers without incident, even seated one backwards once, don't ask me how but must have got flipped when filling the primer tube or possibly flipped when dropping into the primer rod, nevertheless I have never had a discharge either.

I have never forgotten a good friend of mine who was sitting reloading some ammo for his 308W at his home one night and got distracted when trying to listen in on a phone conversation his wife was having with friend.
He was seating primers, adding the powder and then seating the bullet on a case by case basis when his distraction caused him to attempt to seat a primer in a case already primed and full of powder. Fortunately he didn't attempt to seat a bullet and again fortunately the case full of powder was up inside the seating die when the one or other, or both, of the primers ignited.

My friend recalled this ball of white hot fire boiling down out of the bullet seating die, badly burning his chest, arms and tops of his thighs. The seating die directed the fire downwards so protecting his face. As you can imagine the injuries were extremely painful and he was six months off work with numerous medical procedures to repair the damage.

So if you are prepared to risk a case full of powder being ignited on your reloading bench while seating primers more firmly into live cartridges, be my guest shame

The majority of accidents happen when least expected so as the old saying goes "always expect the unexpected".

The very reason I do not reload metallic on a case by case basis, never have powder on the bench when priming cases, never have primers on the bench when charging powder and only ever have one powder on the bench at a time. I value my face and eyesight more than anything these days.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rebel Gun Works is in Brisbane Australia ,was there yesterday and bought 20

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
quote:

I have never forgotten a good friend of mine who was sitting reloading some ammo for his 308W at his home one night and got distracted when trying to listen in on a phone conversation his wife was having with friend.
He was seating primers, adding the powder and then seating the bullet on a case by case basis when his distraction caused him to attempt to seat a primer in a case already primed and full of powder. Fortunately he didn't attempt to seat a bullet and again fortunately the case full of powder was up inside the seating die when the one or other, or both, of the primers ignited.

Apples and oranges.

You do understand that this is factory loaded ammo with already seated primers that must be moved six to twelve thousandths of an inch, right?

But as I say do as you please and don't do as you don't please.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rebel Gun Works is in Brisbane Australia ,was there yesterday and bought 20

Awesome, I assumed in was in the southern US states lol

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link Clayman. I ordered a box of 500 Jeffery from that dealer and they arrived within two days.

Posts: 137 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 04 March 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:
quote:
Thanks
RC

If you're in the U.S. you can try these guys they say they have 4 20 packs left

https://www.rebelgunworks.com....ses-500-jeffrey-20pk

If you're in the U.K

https://www.reloadingsolutions...s-500-jeffery-20-bag

Haven't ever dealt with either of them, just an internet search

Rebel gun works is in Australia

https://ravenrocksprecision.co...jeffery-brass-25-ct/

U can buy direct for rock raven precision and nosler is the same as norma

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is some nolser brass on this website

https://ravenrocksprecision.co...jeffery-brass-25-ct/

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Thanks much! Just bought 100 cases. Not sure if I need them (I have about 100 4 times fired and 40 new ones) but if I don't will offer them up to the group for what I paid for them. Things are getting scarce.

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Better to have spare then not have enough.

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link and the heads up!

Regards,

Chuck