THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    If you were going to build....

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you were going to build.... Login/Join

one of us
posted
a dangerous game rifle and your choice of cartridges were the 505 Gibbs, 500 Nitro Express (3"), and the 500 Jeffery, which would you select and why?

Regards,

------------------
~Holmes

"Those who appease a tiger do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last."
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Interesting question. It also brings up the magazene gun vs double gun issue. I don't think anyone could tell the difference in terminal performance between the lot.

Personally, I'd lean towards the magazene gun, because I'm more familiar with it, though I would certainly love to have a double.

So, that narrows it down to the 505 vs 500. I'd lean towards the 500 due to the larger selection of component bullets, but, if that weren't a concern, I'd go with the 505 due to it's std rim, massive case, and aura.

Properly done, I'd be happy with any of them. Hmmm, practicle 500 Jeffrey, nicest, 500 NE double. Oh heck, I guess I'll go with the 500 Jeffrey, it's what I'm having built, must have been a good reason for that when I started the project.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For a pure dangerous game rifle I would have to go with the 500 3"... This is a choice with very little logic other then I can pull my fastest 4 shots off with a double.

The lack of logic comes into that I hunt so much with my large bores I would find a bolt more logical. That said I would pick out of the 3 the 500 jeffery. The gibbs would be interesting... and in fact you could have one built in a 510 bore... you would have to pull some strings but it wouldnt be unrealistic. I remember Jack Lott having one on a BBK-02.

A friend of mine has a 500 N.E. in a farq. single shot that he has let me hand load for and hunt with. I love the cartridge so much I am having one built now in a ruger # 1... though it wont be much of a dangerous game rifle. Still I will probably give it a good ring out in AU next year. Aside from that it will make a fine deer/hog/elk rifle for me.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In a bolt gun I'd go with the 500 Jefferys and in a double the 500 NE..The 505 is just as good in a bolt gun but the round is considerably larger in size than the Jefferys case...both require a drop box.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Norbert>
posted
I built for good reasons a .500 Jeffery. If your gunsmith sees problems with the rebated rim, you can use a 500 Jeff improved with a bigger rim.

------------------

posted Hide Post
"Elementary My Dear Holmes". I say what?, stand all 3 cases along side each other and gaze upon them. You'll soon know which .505 Gibbs to choose.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
<500 AHR>
posted
You forgot the 500 AHR. This is cartridge I selected mainly because the brass is more affordable and the rim is not rebated. Otherwise I would go with the Gibbs.

Todd