Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

more 458 lott questions Login/Join

<yorick>
posted
I am considering turning my 458 winmag into a 458 lott, the rifle is an Interarms Whitworth markX.

Will the magazine handle the 458 lott cartridge?

Who might be a good smith to do the work, and what kind of $$ should I expect to pay?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To turn your 458 win mag to a 458 lott, you will need to do the following:

1. Open up the front of the receiver. I think you will find your receiver was made for short magnums and needs to be milled out to fit the longer cartridge.

2. Replace the magazine box/bottom metal and follwer with one that (a) H&H length, and (b) tapered to handle the Lott. You can get one from Sunny Hill Enterprises or Ted Blackburn in the $300 to $400 range, plus $30 to $60 for the follower. The original box is probably short magnum length. Even if it is H&H length, its taper will be too sharp for best feeding with the non-tapered Lott, and you would only be able to fit 2 rounds in the magazine.

3. Adjust the rails and ramp to achieve proper feeding.

4. Take the barrel off, ream it with a Lott reamer, and index/re-cut threads to get the sights lined up with proper headspace.

5. Add a 2nd recoil lug to the barrel.

6. Inlet the stock for the 2nd recoil lug and bed it.

7. Reliever the stock around the rear of the receiver to avoid cracking.

8. Blue the barrel (chamber was re-cut) and the magazine box.

I would expect to pay $500+ for the gunsmithing time, having had it done by a friend on 2 military mausers recently. Wouldn't be surprised if you paid closer to $1K.

Add parts cost on top of that.

I will let others recommend the smith.

[This message has been edited by 500grains (edited 04-10-2001).]

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
<AK-HUNTER>
posted
YORICK - CALL MY GUN BUILDER IN NEBRASKA. HE IS REASONABLE AND ONE OF THE BEST THAT I HAVE EVER SEEN.. E-MAIL ME FOR HIS PHONE #
AK

one of us
posted Hide Post
The only thing I'd change in 500's post is that I open the action up in the back as much as possible and as little as possible in front..and you can lenthen and open up the original magazine, but you will be limited to three down and one up the snout....A better way to go is to a drop box and get 4 down and one up...that requires a new stock...you may be better off to buy a new gun...Try Dennis Olson, plains, Montana.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41880 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your Whitworth 458 may be long enough for the Lott. They made some in 375 and 458 in which the actions were opened up. My 458 will take a 375 rd. in the mag box.
At any rate whoever does the work will know.
Unless I am wrong these have the same headspace so properly done there should be no need to rethread or reindex for the sights.
You might get lucky and just need to rechamber.

Posts: 109 | Location: Sask.Ca | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I should also add that my 458 doesn't feed perfectly out of the long box so we put a block at the rear.Also as 500gr. mentioned the lack of taper may cause you feeding problems.

Posts: 109 | Location: Sask.Ca | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you were to use a new Winchester M70 action for a 458 Lott conversion, would it be better to start with a 416 Remington action?

I think the bolt face is the same and the 416 Remington is longer than the 458 Win. Mag. while having a diameter greater than the .375 H&H. Would starting with the .416 Rem. action help to deal with the feeding issues?

Thanks.

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote