Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

375 Sherman ??? Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've been looking into the practicality of a rebarrel to 375 Whelen. I haven't found anybody that has Whelen 375 barrels, and the prices for barrels seem to be far more than they used to be.
Which kind of kills the 'practical' part of my idea.

Anyway, in my search, I came across a barrel in
375 Sherman. The only information given was that it was 270 Winchester based.

Trying to search for info has been fruitless.
I'm wondering how this is different from the Whelen.

Anybody know anything about the 375 Sherman?

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
no help here but how about 9.5×57mm

Posts: 6400 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Never heard of it and neither has any of my books.
If it is based on a 270, how much difference can it be from a Whelen?
Anyway, go with the 375 Steyr; a much better and easier project.
Dies. Brass. Performance. People that can cut that chamber...

Posts: 17122 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Below is the only reference to a Sherman 375 I could find. His other long action cartridges are all based on the 270 Win case with a 40° shoulder and long neck so assume the 375 is also based on the 270 Win case.
The 375 is not listed on his website.

"Richard Sherman’s 375 Yukon. It’s a little longer than a wsm and has a longer neck with a 40° shoulder".

Posts: 3858 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Even if you had one, where would you get dies? CH4D does not make them. Custom dies will cost huge bucks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe it is the .376 Steyr officially. Great suggestion btw.

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Why not go with a 400 Whelen. Heard lots of great stuff about that cartridge.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4731 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, 400 whelen is a great cartridge, but out of the performance parameters of a 375. So, the obvious solution is to get one of each!
I have built many 400 Whelens, and 376 Steyrs too.
You will like the 375 Steyr; it is practically an H&H in performance, yet will fit into any action. Including 98 Mauser without mods, except a slight bolt face open up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My interest in a 375 Whelen rebarrel was to create a 'poor man's' 375 H&H.

I envisioned starting with a cheap Walmart M700, and then a new Whelen barrel, to end up with an economical rifle that although didn't give magnum performance, it would be close, especially considering it's economical powder charges.
Plus, it would have an endless supply of available brass from cheap, sized up, /06 brass.

The end product would be an economical, lightweight, hard hitting near magnum, that was cheap to shoot and held 5 down.

Then, reality reared it's ugly head.

In searching for barrels, I soon found that even if I could find a 375 Whelen barrel, it would cost more than the rifle, and put the whole project far outside of my economical fantasy.

So, on to plan B - Which might be to search the used market for a Husqvarna or a CZ 550 in 9.3x62.
Or, a M77 or M700, in 35 Whelen.

Plan C, might be to just get an H&H and be done with it. But, there goes economical powder charges and cheap brass and 5 down.

Plan D, might be to buy a Mossberg Patriot in 375 Ruger for $425, from a local store, but that might be a little too economical, for me.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Hard reality -any 375x06 is going to be a pale shadow of the 375hh, at reasonable pressure -

376 steyr - great round, i've built several, and this was my go-to hog rifle for longer ranges - though now a days, brass isn't the easiest to find -

the 375 ruger is an excellent round

i have only held some patriot rifles - feels like just about every other plastic rifle, though the 375 ruger comes with iron sights - kinda cool

good luck

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38487 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I don't get the "buy a barrel" comment. You don't buy barrels already fitted and chambered; you have a gunsmith install one. And the reality is that any good barrel/install will cost you $500 and up. That does not include sights or bluing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was looking at the 'Remage' prefits.
Which is the Remington version of the Savage barrel nut system.

However, some outfits offer barrels both ways.
McGowen will sell you a barrel with a shoulder, then fit it to your action.

Either way turned out to be way more expensive than my idea of a budget rifle.

I'm behind the times.

I remember the days of reading the ER Shaw ads in Shotgun News.
I dreamed about how cheap I could have a 470 Capstick barrel installed on a Mark X action. To my regret, I never got one.

Sadly, those days seem to be over.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Never heard of those. I wouldn't use any of those barrels as a tent stake.
Get a good barrel, the first time, correctly fitted. It will pay off in the long run.

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dan Mizer:
My interest in a 375 Whelen rebarrel was to create a 'poor man's' 375 H&H.

I envisioned starting with a cheap Walmart M700, and then a new Whelen barrel, to end up with an economical rifle that although didn't give magnum performance, it would be close, especially considering it's economical powder charges.
Plus, it would have an endless supply of available brass from cheap, sized up, /06 brass.

The end product would be an economical, lightweight, hard hitting near magnum, that was cheap to shoot and held 5 down.

Then, reality reared it's ugly head.

In searching for barrels, I soon found that even if I could find a 375 Whelen barrel, it would cost more than the rifle, and put the whole project far outside of my economical fantasy.

So, on to plan B - Which might be to search the used market for a Husqvarna or a CZ 550 in 9.3x62.
Or, a M77 or M700, in 35 Whelen.

Plan C, might be to just get an H&H and be done with it. But, there goes economical powder charges and cheap brass and 5 down.

Plan D, might be to buy a Mossberg Patriot in 375 Ruger for $425, from a local store, but that might be a little too economical, for me.

Just buy an Win M70 in 375 H&H Smiler Great gun, reloading is cheap only costs me about $2 a round for my 500 Jeffery! Lots less for a 375 H&H (I get 10 reloads per case). Classic rifle, classic caliber, why mess around?

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4731 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would use a 9,3x62 barrel or if wanted more Id go with a 375 OR 416 CHATFIELD TAYLOR..Keepin mind a rebore is less expensive than a new barrel any way you cut it.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1015471579

This one would be a quick build into 375 Whelen.
It already has a 3 position safety and Blackburn trigger. Then just go with the bottom metal it already has. Spin a Douglas on it and drop it in a Bell & Carlson. find some dies and the rest of your loading supplies and you're shooting it.

Posts: 1213 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote