THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    What should I be looking for?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What should I be looking for? Login/Join

one of us
posted
I really like the old fixed power weavers for my big bore rifles, but I don't know exactly which ones I sould be looking for? The ones from Texas? I've noticed that some are listed with different letters, like B or something else. I'm only interested in the low powers like 2.5, 1.5, or 1. Weaver codes are confusing me. If anybody has any info or a good one that they would like to sell please let me know. I also would not mind having an old Lyman Alaskan. Thanks!!!

------------------
Gotta love that BIG MEDICINE

Posts: 1257 | Location: Colusa CA U.S.A. | Registered: 27 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What you really need is a Leupold Alaskan, which is the modern version of the Lyman Alaskan, but has a centered reticle and modern lenses...I have a 2.5 and a 4x, they are 22MM or 7/8" tubes....

Leupold 3x are hard to find but they are still out there, I have a number of these jewells...the Weaver 60-B series is a fair scope..the new Weaver 2.5X is a much nicer and better scope than any of the old ones and won't break the bank..

Just some thoughts on the subject.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So the new line of weaver fixed low power scopes will take the beating of my .375? I always thought that the old ones where much tougher.

------------------
Gotta love that BIG MEDICINE

Posts: 1257 | Location: Colusa CA U.S.A. | Registered: 27 June 2001Reply With Quote
<the-moleman>
posted
I don't know what the new Weavers are like, but I've found the old steel-tube K series to be very stout and dependable. My favorite is the K3 (brought out at Jack O'Connor's request), but the K2.5 is excellent also. You might want to avoid the K1.5. The ones that I've seen had a very small objective lens of appox. .5" dia., and with the poor optics (relative to today's scopes) I can't imagine that they would be much use in low-light conditions.

I don't know what the codes mean, but perhaps the people at Weaver Scope Repair Service in El Paso could tell you which variations are better, or at least which ones they can rebuild. That would be the criteria I'd use for purchasing one, making sure that it is something that they can rebuild. For about $50 you get a virtually new scope. Their number is (915) 593-1005.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Having shot lots of weavers. I is time to move up to better optics. Go to fix power leupolds. You well find the optics much better then the old weavers. They were good in their time but there are better now.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JR if you really want some old weavers I have 3 that would interist you. Tryed you e mail wouldn't go. Send me one and we can work on it.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote