THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Develop a proof cartridge .450 NE 3,25"

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Develop a proof cartridge .450 NE 3,25" Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi
I am in the process of completing a .450 Nitro Express 3,25”, Falling block rifle, Fields Pat, no. 1927.
The rifle was not completed back in the days. The action is for example not hardened. No stamps, and so on.
Before I put too much money and time In this project, I have to develop a proof cartridge that, will produce 30% over pressure.
I started with the max load of 82gr Vihtavouri N150. Hornady 500gr RN Interlock.
GRT give me 648m/s. My Chronograph says 614m/s. approx. 6% difference.
Everything looked good. Nice round primer and no extraction problem.
Then the weather got worse, and it was time for my, according to GRT +30% load, 90gr N150. The chronograph did not register it.
Nice round primer and no extraction problem even now.
How shall I calibrate GRT?
Can I expect he preasure values in GRT to change, and follow new loads?

/Johan

Posts: 87 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 14 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A well respected cartridge to this day in Africa and the USA.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41850 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 375HH:
Hi
I am in the process of completing a .450 Nitro Express 3,25”, Falling block rifle, Fields Pat, no. 1927.
The rifle was not completed back in the days. The action is for example not hardened. No stamps, and so on.
Before I put too much money and time In this project, I have to develop a proof cartridge that, will produce 30% over pressure.
I started with the max load of 82gr Vihtavouri N150. Hornady 500gr RN Interlock.
GRT give me 648m/s. My Chronograph says 614m/s. approx. 6% difference.
Everything looked good. Nice round primer and no extraction problem.
Then the weather got worse, and it was time for my, according to GRT +30% load, 90gr N150. The chronograph did not register it.
Nice round primer and no extraction problem even now.
How shall I calibrate GRT?
Can I expect he preasure values in GRT to change, and follow new loads?

/Johan

Can you be more specific? (COAL, water capacity, barrel lenght...)
I will run it in QuickLoad.

Jiri

Posts: 2076 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote