Tools

.416 Rigby Pet Loads Login/Join

<R. A. Berry>
posted
Got some loading and shooting done. I was most impressed with this load:

Norma brass or nickel plated Federal case

Federal GM215M primer

H4831 "Extreme" 104.0 grains

Any 400 grain bullet tried: They all shoot to the same point of impact.

The Swift 400 grain A-Frame was very accurate. I think Swift quality control has made sub MOA easy since I last tried them in the 1980's.

The Speer 400 grain AGS, also very accurate, did the most damage to the 3/4" thick steel plate gong. The tungsten penetrator alone poked through the back side of the plate, of the three solids I tried. The Hornady FMJ and the Barnes solids in 400 grain .416 also were accurate and did considerable steel excavation.

The Swift and Speer both did right at 2450 fps with this load and are my choice for a 400 grain soft and solid combo.

I would like to try the GS Custom 380 grain FN solid. I'll bet it works great with 104 grains of H4831 also, as does the 400 grain Barnes X-Bullet I have used in the past, 104 grains of H4831.

Another favorite past load is the 350 grain X-Bullet with IMR 4831, 101.0 grains, other componets the same. 2700 fps, sub MOA. Note the IMR 4831 used with the lighter bullet, versus the H4831 used with the 400 grain bullets.

------------------
Good huntin' and shootin',
Bwanawannabe, Daktari Ron

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Someone suggested to me on this forum to try 100 gr. H4831. So I did: 2415 fps in a Ruger, on a borrowed chrono (norma cases, CCI 250 primers). Close enough for me.

I am not into reloading per se, just lookibg for something that works. I don't appreciate loading 16 different powders and bullet weights in the same rifle, just try to simplify hunting and shooting. To each his own.

It is amazing, though, that Barnes solids, Swift, Nosler, Hornady solids, and Speer AGS solids all shoot the same, the same point of impact to the best as I can tell (similar to the famous characteristics of the .375).

I wish I had done this Rigby thing a long time ago.

Will

Posts: 19319 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<R. A. Berry>
posted
Will,

I too am a recent convert to the .416 Rigby. Of course George Hoffman's rationale in creating the .416 Hoffman is easily understood in light of scarcity of the Rigby back then.

The .416 comes closest to bridging the span from true hunting rifle to stopping rifle of any other caliber.

------------------

<Mick>
posted
I would second that!!

one of us
Picture of Big Bore
posted Hide Post
Ah, the .416 Rigby. The mere mention of this round conjurs up images of the Dark Continent of bygone days, of sweaty gun bearers, and the pungent aroma of cordite wafting on the morning breeze...

Excuse the flight of fancy, but I simply love this round. While 400 gr. bullets certainly have their place, there are other bullets that truly make the .416 Rigby a do anything, anywhere cartridge. My personal favorite load in my Ruger No. 1 and will certainly be tested in my soon coming M77 Magnum, is a 325 gr. X bullet over 110 gr. of IMR 4831 for a 2924.5 fps velocity. Further yielding 3/4" 5 shot groups at 100 yards, and 1.25" groups at 200 yards. If the new 77 shoots as well as the No.1, then I will be a happy camper.

I cannot count the number of safaris I've been on with this round by simply holding it in my hand, and letting the imagination do the rest.

Posts: 641 | Location: Indiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"I cannot count the number of safaris I've been on with this round by simply holding it in my hand, and letting the imagination do the rest."

Amen.

Posts: 165 | Location: Adams, NE USA | Registered: 08 February 2001Reply With Quote
<George Hoffman>
posted
Gentlemen:
You are right on track with your loads. Jack O'Conner used 105 grs of The old H4831 many years ago. I borrowed an aorginal rigby one time and I wound up with 104/105 being the best powder I had at the time. That old Rigby, was the reason for my comeing up with the .416 Hoffman....The only reason I don't have a Rigby today...is because no body will give me one.....that is the only way I could afford one. grin.
George

<R. A. Berry>
posted
Bwana Hoffman,

Thanks for the post. My master plan for rifle building includes the .416 Hoffman, because it will handle any of the long H&H based ammo in a pinch. Got any more of your books left?

------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
R.A.B.,
Thanks for the updated info on the RIGBY. We will be working on break-in and load development this early summer. I'll post the results. Thanks again.
BIG SAM

Posts: 702 | Location: Lenoir. N.C. | Registered: 18 September 2000Reply With Quote