Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

470 Mbogo Login/Join

<Daryl Elder>
posted
Heard you were up in my neck of the woods-- showing Hans what a real gun looks like?

one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Daryl Elder:
Hi Daryl,
Yes, Hans and I had good time shooting and looking for Elk. I was working up in Chetwyn and had a couple of days free. I had a chance to shoot his double 500/416 which was a real treat. It was the first double I've had a chance to shoot. I don't think you could meet a nicer couple. When I'm up that way again maybee the three of us should go out and test some toys. 470 Mbogo

Posts: 1247 | Location: Sechelt B.C. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Daryl Elder>
posted
Hans is up on the Stikine on his line right now. Should be back in December some time. Very nice people( for Finns!HAHA!) He was quite taken with his double. Nice piece. Look forward to meeting some day. Regards, Daryl.

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Hey guys,

Nice to see some folks that are familiar with the Peace country. I grew up in Chetwynd, and my Pa has a bison ranch out west of Hudson's Hope. I try to get back up there a couple times a year for holidays and hunting.

Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Daryl Elder>
posted
FYI, it was -27C this a.m.! No wind, though, so it wasn't too bad-- for staying in bed! So, Canuck, how does that 45-70 work on your Dad's buffalo? Does the 45-70 meet the min. power level for bison? I just read some data using Varget; 55.0gr pushing a 405gr.JFP @ 1845 from a 24" tube. Cracker! Says 25,000 CUP. Safe?

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Brrrrr.. Little nippy down this way too, but still in the negative-teens. Since moving down here I don't see much -27 anymore. A few days a winter is about it.

I haven't had a chance to use my .45/70 on a bison. I did get one last year (LEH @ Pink Mt) but I used a .375 H&H. I wouldn't hesitate to use the ol' .45/70 though, but I would keep shots under 100m.

I don't know if you noticed in my other post that I have managed to push a 400gr Speer with it at over 2000fps. That sucker packs a pretty good punch out of a 7.5lb gun! 48gr of RL 7 and a magnum primer. A guy named 'shooter' that used to post here got 2000fps out of his guide gun with just one more grain of powder. There was no pressure signs on the brass in either case, but you are really stretching the limits of the Marlin action. Kind of a "use at your own risk" situation, IMHO.

1850 is real easy to meet, and the gun seems to handle it nicely.

You'll really enjoy the guide gun. It is definately the most fun gun in my cabinet. It think my friends would have to agree to.

One thing I love doing is shooting big firewood logs stood on end. Rotten is better. Shoot it with your '06 or the like, then rattle it with the .45/70! The difference in impact energy is very noticable. Recovered bullets (Speer 400gr) were great big beautiful mushrooms (much to my surprise...I thought they would be more frangible based on their outward appearance).

Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Canuck:
Hi Canuck and Daryl,
Getting a buffalo draw and winning a trip to Africa, don't drop you horseshoe and buy lotto tickets.
I'm loading my 45/70 with H322. I get 1850 with 52 grains and it's very accurate. I've taken a few Black Bears with it and it really performs. I agree that it's the most fun gun in my cabinet also.
My buddy and I head up to the Nevis Creek area every year. We head back towards ten mile lake and tent camp each year. I think this area is only two ranges north of the Pink Mountain area you got your Buffalo in.
This would be an awsome area for your 416 Taylor. 470 Mbogo

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I thought I lived in the more "tropical" portion of Alaska. Guess not as it was -24C this morning.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Daryl Elder>
posted
I think us "northerners" need our own site! Or maybe the rest could strip naked and jump into their deepfreeze for 20 minutes whilst doing the forum thing? I was wondering about the Wild West Guns rear peep? Looks a little more protected than the Ashley. Opinions? I'll post anther topic for this to ensure responses. Daryl( of the great white, cold, dark north)

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
470M,

You are right about the lottery ticket thing! The last year and half has been a real roller coaster ride. I am not very religous, but I remember a quote from "Little House on the Prairie" from when I was a kid. Pa Ingalls said "God gives you bad times so you can appreciate the good." You can bet I am going to appreciate the heck out of my trip to Africa!!

I know that Buckinghorse/Nevis/Besa area pretty well, and you are right, it is a great place for a .416 Taylor. I was buff hunting in the Halfway, which is two drainages south of Nevis. In your travels in that area have you tried to get into Trimble or Redfern Lake? I love that whole Northern Rockies area. So many mountains so little time.

Canuck

one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
Hi Canuck,
I've been to Redfern Lake quite a few times. We would take a day and cruise down there usually once a trip and I've been going into this area for fifteen years. I've shot two Moose in the area with my 416 Taylor. One with a 400 grain Hornady and one with a 350 Barnes X. Redfern is beutiful. I could scan in a picture but I don't know how to post them. My 416 Taylor is just in having a Pachmayer tripleX pad installed. Funny thing eh. 470 Mbogo

<Daryl Elder>
posted
Canuck, I've been to Redfern/Trimble half a dozen times. Spectacular. But, the headwaters of the Prophet are nice as well. With the byilding of that goddamn trail into Redfern I'll take the Prophet for the solitude. I took a goat down your way this fall around the Bull river area. Beautiful! That's where I hope to get to B4 I retire and am too crippled up to be able to walk into those places. A lot warmer than here, to boot!

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
470M: Posting pics is pretty easy. You just have to have them loaded on a webpage, then in the text of your message bracket the file location with [img]xxx [/img] (replace x's with http address, no spaces). I use hunting-pictures.com, but you could probably just use your website. If you'd rather, you can just e-mail them to me and I'll post 'em for ya.

.470M & Daryl: That country sure is spectacular up there. I am not deprived of mountain views here in the Kootenay's but the northern Rockies are just so much more wild. Living and hunting down here is great, but I live for my trips up north, if you know what I mean. And the terrain around here is definately a little harder on the knees.

Congrats on the goat, Daryl. I had a draw in the Elk Valley this year but got skunked. Left it til too late (all work and no play....). Made a last ditch effort on Friday but the goats didn't cooperate (and the fact some schmuck rode his quad 6 km into the area closure I was hunting in didn't help matters!).

.470M, do you find the tripleX pad to be that much better? I have a regular decelerator on my Taylor. It is the first Pachmayr I have ever been exposed to and it is awesome. I am just wondering though, cuz the wheels are already turning on what my next project should be. It will definately be a notch or two up.

Canuck

one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
Hi Canuck,
The triple X is quite a bit better than the regular deceloator pad. Just try one and post your findings. People keep asking how to tame recoil and it's the best information that I can pass their way. I've had decelerators on a few guns as well as the Kickeeze. The triple x does more to slow recoil velocity than either of the others. I watched the salesman with the sorbothane recoil pads drop a steel ball down a plastic tube to show how the steel ball wouldn't bounce while the ball bounced on a decelerator pad. I bought one and put it on a 416 Rigby and as far as I'm concerned I might as well of not had a recoil pad at all. I loaded my Rigby to 2600 fps with a 400 Hornady so the recoil velocity was up there. I think he was a salesman and not a shooter. Just try a triple X and see for yourself. 470 Mbogo

<Vasa>
posted
470 Mbogo.
Back from the northwest- tell you about the trip sometime. Met Daryl E. the other day, too. Also managed to shoot a LEH Mule Deer after I got back using the 7x57R out of the Ferlach drilling that I showed you.

Vasa

one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Vasa:
Hi Vasa,
Good to hear from you. Glad you've returned safely. I might have to go back up to Chetwyn for a day or two so I'll get hold of you and you can tell me about your trip. I think Daryl would like to shoot a couple of big bores also. I'm just waiting for some tooling. Have you ever skied at Powder King? I was thinking of throwing my Tele skis in.
470 Mbogo

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post

They don't call it Powder King for nothing! Although I am no longer an avid skier (spend too much on guns and hunting, ski pass is too expensive ), I have skied many of the best hills in BC and it is tough to beat the snow at Powder King. It may not have the quantity of snow, and the runs aren't exactly world class, but the quality sure is. Growing up in Chetwynd I had no idea how spoiled I was. My local hill (Fernie) is pretty good, though.

Canuck

[This message has been edited by Canuck (edited 12-20-2001).]

<Vasa>
posted
470 Mbogo!
Good to hear from you. Canuck likes Powder King - there you have it, I have heard that it is good. I have not done any downhill for years, I am more in to cross-country skiing.
Next time you come up, let's get together with Daryl and shoot some big bore.

Did you make an order for cartridge cases in November?

Vasa

<Daryl Elder>
posted
Vasa, you've been going down hill for years! Me, too...