THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Anyone built a 416 Rigby on a Rem 700 clone?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone built a 416 Rigby on a Rem 700 clone? Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted
Firstly, I just need to get this out of the way before proceeding. I know this is a terrible idea, I will probably be killed at some stage in the process, and every other firearm on the market is a better option. So if we can move on, I am interested to hear if everyone has ever done this, and if so, what components they used.

I currently have a Mausingfield long action Rem 700 clone with a 338 Lapua bolt face. This action can actually accomodate a 416 Rigby case. It is currently a 338 Excalibur, which is basically a 416 Rigby case necked down to 338. Does anyone know of a BDL style mag and bottom metal that would be suitable for a build like this? I did some googling and found this: Rigby BDL kit

But interested to know of anything else on the market that I may have missed.

Posts: 425 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Wow. What a terrible idea. Probably will get you killed. You know pretty much anny other rifle would be a better idea, right?

old

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I would dig a deep hole in my backyard.

It’s rocky, so I’d probably have to hire a back hoe.

To dig really deep.

Then I’d throw that rifle into it. Along with this AR post.

And bury them forever.

Without a tombstone.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That looks like it would work, the good thing about the mausenfield is that it is a true controlled round feed action. But don't know anyone that had done one on a 416 rigby. Will be watching to see how your build goes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It could probably be done, but I wouldn’t. There are some CZ550 actions for sale on Gunbroker for $900.00 that would be a better option. I had a Rigby just like Harry Shelby,s a few years ago that was built on a standard length 98 Mauser by Rigby. Even so
I doubt you could find a gunsmith anywhere that would do it.

Posts: 137 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 04 March 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Some 500 Jeffery's were built on standard length 98 actions too. But i wouldn't do that either. I'm a Rem 700 fan but keep them for shooting North American game. I have a BDL in 270 WCF that's still my favorite rifle in the world. I've shot a bunch of bears with it too. It's never failed me. But when I decided to buy a dangerous game rifle I bought a CZ 550

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4731 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
The Rigby BDL bottom metal is cool, though.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3045 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It can be done and has been. About anything can be done if you have the financial ability.. I know a PH who has been shooting a 416 Rigby for years built on a pre 64 mod 70 action..I have built a couple of 404 Jefferys on 98 actions, and was never quite satisfied with them, better a CZ or one of the larger control feed actions..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bwana don't let these old stick in the mud types get in your way. With CAD/CAM CNC lathes and mills and enough time and Money anything is possible.

If you are patient enough and have the discretionary cash go for it.

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1226 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buy a new 416 Ruger a better cartridge and a lot easier on the pocket box.

Posts: 19393 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana_500:
Firstly, I just need to get this out of the way before proceeding. I know this is a terrible idea, I will probably be killed at some stage in the process, and every other firearm on the market is a better option. So if we can move on, I am interested to hear if everyone has ever done this, and if so, what components they used.

I currently have a Mausingfield long action Rem 700 clone with a 338 Lapua bolt face. This action can actually accomodate a 416 Rigby case. It is currently a 338 Excalibur, which is basically a 416 Rigby case necked down to 338. Does anyone know of a BDL style mag and bottom metal that would be suitable for a build like this? I did some googling and found this: Rigby BDL kit

But interested to know of anything else on the market that I may have missed.

If anybody could do this project it would be Chad Dixon at Long Rifles Inc, he loves a challenge.

Posts: 749 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no opinion but this is available.

Rigby BDL kit

https://defiancemachine.com/ac...s/bottom-metal-kits/

Posts: 523 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote