New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finally did it ... Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Ross Seyfried's article on the .450 Express in the July 2000 issue of Rifle got me all fired up to try this number. Ross was even kind enough to reply to a letter of mine inquiring about the practicality of rechambering a Ruger No.1 .458 to the .450 3 1/4 BP/NE. Then I found an affordable set of used circa-1957 RCBS dies for the cartridge in a local gun shop. I ordered a box of Bertram brass and loaded a couple of rounds just to admire them. And yesterday, I took my .458 Tropical to a fine local gunsmith, Kevin Wyatt, for rechambering. Should have the gun back after Christmas. I will report on range results with both smokeless and black. By the way, I had no trouble at all drop-tubing 120 grains of FFg into a case, with room left over for two wads and a grease cookie under a Lee 340-grain bullet with slight compression for a traditional BPE load. I will also use load recommendations in Graeme Wright's double rifle book. May have to fly the Union Jack when I shoot it, eh? :-)

Posts: 16387 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Bill,

That should be a very nice gun! I'm still wanting/debating some sort of flanged round for a ruger #1. I can't decide between a hot 6.5mm or a thumper, maybe one of each?

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes!!! After reading that article I have contemplated doing the same thing. Give an update of the finished product so I might be pushed over the edge too!

Posts: 1239 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Fellas, I will report when I get the rifle back. Meantime, I find myself constructing all sorts of loads: duplicating the original 365-grain/BP express load, the nitro-for-blacks, the Rigby 480 at 2150. It occurs to me that for a real memory lane experience I could break down some surplus .303 rounds I have on hand and use the cordite to duplicate the performance (and smell) of the old Kynoch nitro loads. Anyone else try reusing cordite from surplus rounds? Any tricks to be aware of?

Posts: 16387 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote