Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

404 Dakota?? Login/Join

<500 AHR>
posted
Anybody have any information (or more interestingly) experience with this cartridge? I noticed it listed as a chamber offering for the Mod 97.

Todd E

one of us
posted Hide Post
the Dakota is basically 404 Jefferys improved, or with more velocity...An improvement that was never needed..I suspect it helps from the stand point of case stretching (maybe)....Dakota and a world of other Arms Companies, have adopted the basic 404 Jefferys case and reinvented a mirage of wheels...which secures a lifetime of available brass for us old Jefferys fans.

I'll stay with the std. 404 Jefferys. and the Nostalgia that is so dear to my heart.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41875 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
Todd - Understand that Ray and the .404 Jeffery are married. No other cartridge shall come between them. Through bigger or smaller, faster or slower, shall the two never separate. Amen.

Seriously, Ray has a very valid point - The .404 Jeffery is very difficult to beat. However, I am a Dakota fan. I love both their actions and line of proprietary cartridges. The .404 Dakota is new for this year. I am not sure why Dakota decided to offer the .404. Unless they felt the competition for the .416 was increasing. Something new in the world of cartridges has some marketing appeal I suppose.

I shoot a .416 Dakota, and love it. The selection of bullets in .416 are vast. The selection of bullets in the .42 caliber are somewhat limited. This is the only concern that I have with the .404 - but I would never tell Ray that.

Z

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<500 AHR>
posted
Thanks for the input. I was already familiar with the Dakota tweaking of the old 404 Jeffery case. I guess what I was trying to ask was: Is the 404 Dakota a necked up 375 Dakota. If that is the case then it is based off of a 2.5" case and for all pratical purposes is a 416 Howell bumped up to .423. Again if anyone knows for sure and especially if you have shooting ecperience with the 404 Dakota please tell me about it.

Also, I think a few out there have 416 Howells. What kind of performance are you getting out of that round?

Todd E

one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't argue much with Zero, he outfoxed me this time.. If I was to go with the Dakota, I would definately do as he did and go with the 416 because you get a little more shoulder and availability of bullets...

Believe it or not, I am a fan of the 416 as well.. the difference of 3.5 thousands divided by 4 sides of a bullet figures to very little advantage in cross section...
A lot of my marriage to the 404 is nostalgic, an important factor in my hunting and of course the 40 some odd years of that marriage is a factor..but that 416 Dakota ( the little upstart) is quite a caliber.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41875 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote