THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    .375 or .416 I would like your help

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.375 or .416 I would like your help Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Hauptjager
posted
I have experienced a little good fortune and the money is burning a hole in my pocket! I�m looking for a big bore DGR. I have found a guy with some good price on a CZ 550 Safaris. (I�m thinking of either 375 or 416 Rigby.) I have also found a very nice Ruger #1 in 416 Rigby with dies and brass for about the same price, which tugs at special place in my hart. Any thoughts from the group about which is the best choice?

Posts: 153 | Location: Hilo, Hawaii | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
If you're not recoil sensitive, then go with the CZ550 416 Rigby...most will tell you a single shot is not a good idea for a DG rifle. I've owned a shot both the 375's and 416's quite a bit and the 416's are definitely a step up in recoil. If you don't reload and $ is an issue, then go with the 375 H&H 'cuz factory ammo is fairly high for the Rigby round.

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Get the CZ .416 Rigby. A bolt-action is much more versatile than a #1, and it can be fired four times a lot faster than a #1 can.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go ahead and get it over with and buy both

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I believe you mean "Buy all three"?

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was in a situation once where I had to buy three rifles at one time, it was a hard couple of months and I actually ended up partially trading my blackhawk on one of them.

What else have you got? I think that the 375 might be more useful but the 416 would be real cool. if you have anything that can cover the bottom of the 375's range then I would get the 416. I would pass on a No. 1 in that size, not just for reloading time, because you could get very good with it, but because it is going to be lighter than the CZ's too (my no. 3 in 45/70 is light and mean to the shoulder). But it is coming with the dies which are worth quite a bit too. Might be worth it to buy the 416 No. 1 and the CZ550, you could always change the No. 1 later to anything you want. I know you like that answer. :-)

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get the one you like the best, and within your recoil tolerances....As to a No.1 for DG, its not recommended, but today with a PH to back you up, it should be fine and its rare that you would even need to be backed up....At any rate I would not hesitate to use one with Pierre van Tonder backing up my play....

The CZ is a great gun, but still needs some tweeking IMO...I spent about $850 getting mine where I wanted it but I also converted it to a 404 Jefferys, so figure on about $300 to $400 for tweeking...and that depends on your requirments also. You could get by with a glass bedding job and let it go at that....

Posts: 41893 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Everyone needs a good .375h&h. I like the big .416 (I have a .404) but the .375 will be a bit more user friendly. I would very much like to get one of the new CZ Americans in .375.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the rifle is for the "just to have" category then I would get the 416 Rigby.

If you think you will do quite a bit of shooting and fiddling about with loads and so on, then the 375 H&H.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hauptjager
posted Hide Post
I have a 7mm-08 for the smaller critters.

I was thinking that if I got a 375 then I would rebarrle it at a later time per Ray�s plan. To be honest I have not shot the any of the calibers in question.

I would be ever so grateful if I could find someone here in the Dallas area that would let me �test drive� something in this range. I�m not a little guy and am not afraid of recoil, so as I always say �to a point, you can never have too much horsepower.� (I�ll pay for shells)

one of us
Picture of Hauptjager
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Go ahead and get it over with and buy both

If I could find a buyer for my Swedish Ljungman 42B, and or FN 49. (Any takers? info upon request) I would get both the CZ 375 and the Ruger 416. life would be sooo sweet.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There are several guys around Dallas that post on this board that have some big bores...

Posts: 41893 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hauptjager
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ray
Hopefully someone will allow me to take a test drive. Another question; does anyone make factory 404 Jeff ammo? I priced dies on midway and wow they are pricy! The availability of ammo / price of reloading equipment would be a factor for converting a 375 to 404. These facts in mind would you say that the 416 Rigby is a more practical choice? Thanks for the dialogue.

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Hauptjager,

As far as practical ballistics for DG go, there is little difference in the 404 Jeffrey and the 416 Rigby. There is a much wider selection of 416 bullets than 423 (404 Jeff.) bullets. The Jeffrey load was originally a 400 grainer at about 2150 fps and the Rigby was a 410 at about 2350 fps. Both can be safely loaded to considerably higher velocities than the original loadings. CH4D makes the lowest cost 404 dies as far as I know. Aint this fun? Isn't Collins Bros Jeep located in Wylie?

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen

There was an interesting article in African Hunter http://www.african-hunter.com/reloading_the__404_jeffery.htm

The difference in trajectory between the 375, the 404 and 416 isn't that large

For interest I have used a computer programme to calculate the trajectory figures for my reloads at 2280feet per second from 0 to 250m. By way of comparison I ran the ballistics for a .458 Magnum 500 grain bullet at 2090 feet per second and a .375 Magnum, 300 grain bullet at 2550 feet per second, all sighted in at 100 metres. The trace of the .4l6 Rigby would have been identical to that of the .404 and so is not included. As can be seen on the graph, at 250 metres the .375 Magnum has dropped 11 inches, the .404 has dropped 13 inches and the .458 has dropped 18 inches. But at 150 metres there is a spread of only 1" between these calibres and at 200 metres it is 4". Most gun writers would describe the .375 Magnum as flat shooting and the descriptions of the .458 tend to include words like "rainbow trajectory". In reality the point of aim for any of the rifles is virtually the same out to 150 metres.

Cheers
/ JOHAN

one of us
Picture of Hauptjager
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Isn't Collins Bros Jeep located in Wylie?

Yes it is about a 1.5 miles from the house on FM 544.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I own both a 375 and recently a 416 rem mag, I have shot hundreds of rounds through my 375 and only 100 or so through the 416. I also own a 458 WM, I rate the 375 in a class of its own and the 458 and 416 similar as to weight and balance both these larger bores weigh about 10 + pounds with all the hardware so they are cumbersome. My 375 is a browning A-Bolt and with scope it weighs in at 8 1/2 and feels like a small bore as compared to the others. I have used the 375 on two Alaskan hunts and to me it is an all around great gun/caliber plenty of power and range capabilities. The 416 closely parallels the 375 in range with more power like the 458. Although the 416 and 458 are more powerful they are also more weight, less balanced and more costly to shoot not to mention recoil. After having all three if I could only keep one I would have to say the 375 would be the keeper. What you need to ask yourself can I afford/need both calibers and which will fit my needs either case both are great calibers

Posts: 2299 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is an easy one. Find(borrow) an old single barrel New England arms 10 ga. Most gun stores have one around gathering dust somewhere. Then buy a five pack of 10ga federal "punkin balls"which will be in the ammo section gathering dust. Go to your local range and fire one shot. If it feels OK, then the Ruger #1 is for you. Next, fire the next four shots as quickly as you safely can. If you really like that,then the 416 Rigby CZ is for you. If you didn't fair too well but can still smile, the 375 should be about right.

Posts: 740 | Location: CT/AZ USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was in the same dilemma as you and I solved the problem buy purchasing cz's in .375 & .416...I am sorry but this is the only way you can deal with the dilemma

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As above have said.

375 if you want to do a lot of shooting.

416 Rigby if you want to score with the prom queen.

404 jeffery is a hot chick with better personality, but still not the prom queen.

Karl.

Posts: 3533 | Location: various | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hauptjager
posted Hide Post
Quote:

As above have said.
375 if you want to do a lot of shooting.
416 Rigby if you want to score with the prom queen.
404 jeffery is a hot chick with better personality, but still not the prom queen.

Karl.

What can I say, I never had any luck with the prom queen! She was just to high maintenance for my blood. I think the same could be true of the 416 Rigby tring to her fed.