THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Converting a Mauser to .404 Jeff?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Converting a Mauser to .404 Jeff? Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
Since I have a spare FN mauser action from a Columbian .30-06, just what is involved in building a .404 on a Mauser, and who makes barrels in the correct bore diameter (and what is a decent twist)?

Ray, all of your talk has got me thinking . . . ., and that is not a good thing!!!!!!!

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Just send the action to Ray with a fat check, he'll take care of you .

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I second Roger's comments, send the rifle with lots of money to Ray! I am working on a 404 conversion now for Ray, this is a M98.

For Boomer, both Pac Nor and Montanna Rifleman make .423 barrels. I have one of each in the shop. Making a 404 out of your M98 requires action work and new bottom metal. If you need more info, shoot me an email. Thanks, John (star@olypen.com)

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
<RAO>
posted
loud-n-boomer,
you may consider another excellent cartidge based upon .404 by factory. It is .425 Westly&Richards and it will do every thing you ever dream in .404 Jeffery. The charm is that it will be softer on your pocket. All you need is barrel installed and chambered, feedind smoothed,and stocked. As it is short action cartridge,you have nothing to worry about action alterations. As for ballistics,.410gr bullet at 2300f.p.s.
Isn't it cool...

one of us
posted Hide Post
No, don't send the action to me!!! rather send it to John Ricks or Jim Brockman, thats where I send mine...

All I do these days is make stocks for myself and a few hunting customers that blackmail me by threatening to book with someone else...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RAO,
that 425 WR is a little limited as to components on this side of the big pond...However it is a nice caliber....

From a practical standpoint the 338 case necked up to 423 is the best route..or even the 416 Rem case if you want a little more..

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
The .425 WR has great ballistics and if you have an original WR to shoot it in can't be beat . . . however, the reason that it never has become popular is that it has a rebated rim and unless you have your smith build a WR lookalike set of feed clips (an expensive proposition, I suspect) it may very well get you killed. Uganda used to have WR .425's for their Game Department but they were "clipless" utility models. Feeding unreliability, it is reported, got a lot of Game Scouts eaten or stomped. A .404 is a lot more reasonable conversion. Have Nikudu get you a quote from Sabi.
Sarge

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Yes, but the cool factor for the .425 Westley Richards is over the top gents.

(At the range)
I see you getting pushed around a little by that rifle, what cartridge is that? (while the yokel stares a little wild-eyed at the ominously fat, short, incredibly muscular looking brass bombs)

You say with perfect elan, "oh, this is my .425 Westley Richards".

Oh man, it makes me warm just thinking about it...DOWN BOY...

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Roger Rothschild:
Yes, but the cool factor for the .425 Westley Richards is over the top gents.
You say with perfect elan, "oh, this is my .425 Westley Richards".

Oh man, it makes me warm just thinking about it...DOWN BOY...

What is wrong with, "Oh, this is my 404 Jeffery"!

I find that 80% of the guys at most ranges are puzzeled by anything that doesn't say 30-06,30-30, or WEATHERBY on it, anyway!

------------------
..Mac >>>===(x)===>
also DUGABOY1
DUGABOY DESIGNS
Collector/trader of fine double rifles, and African wildlife art

[This message has been edited by MacD37 (edited 10-21-2001).]

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mac,
You could do what I do with my double rifle, I tell them it's a 30-30 then they say, "man, you should have bought a Winchester, it'll hold a lot more bullets" I know but they cost too much! Yeah, your right about that, but they'er worth the difference....

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Mac's right. I can do a "way cool" with a .318 WR, a .450 Rigby or even a .300 H&H! My partner does it with a 8mm with a double set trigger and butterknife bolt handle. Even a Mannlicher carbine will work. We live around a LOT of people and that means a lot of shooters. The range I was at today has over 50 benches for rifle alone and I don't know how many pistol positions, sporting clays, black powder, etc, etc, etc. Over half the weopons out there this morning were AR15 clones. Nobody, and I mean nobody had anything more interesting than Jim and I did. The closest anyone came to "style" was a Remington 760! Sad.
Sarge

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
<RAO>
posted
The first .425WR I saw was made by "Manton" on mauser action,and I immideatly fell in love with it. The owner was very pleased with the performence and was unwilling to part it. Host of hunters of african and indian experience are also very pleased with the performence of .425WR and John Tayler in his book "African Rifles and Cartridges" praises it. In mauser action rifles,there is hardly any un-reliabality problem of rebated rim cartridges.
Americans are blessed that not only they enjoy the liberty to handload but also benifit from verity of components to choose from. And since case making is hardly any different then making of .425 ex,.585nayati and many others,it is no big deal.And I am sure that cases are available as components. So bieng a good cartridge,it shall be appericiated and enjoyed.