Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger .416 Rigby's Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone have experience with either of the 2 rifles Ruger offers in a .416? They offer both the M77 and the #1.

Thanks
Gene

Posts: 543 | Location: Belmont, MI | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Probably the most gun for the money on todays market...the safari grade 77....

The number 1 is a an awsome gun, but a single shot is not my idea of a dangerous game rifle..Sure it will kill them, but I cannot imagine anyone dumb enough to think it would be ideal in a charge situation, and after all that is what constitiutes a dangerous game rifle.

Posts: 41926 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
i have the #1 in 458 lott very well made rifle but not what I would want to be looking down at a pissed off buffalo with.
dean

Posts: 1057 | Location: adirondacks,NY ,USA | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Gene -

A friend of mine had a # 1 in .416 Rem that I fired a few times. It was a nice rifle, but it certainly pounded the shoulder! I am a big guy (6'1" and 260lbs) and it was the only thing I have fired that left a bruise immediately. It was accurate and fun to shoot though.

Looking for a back-up for that .300 WM being built?

MIBIGHNTR

Posts: 217 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Mark! How about that, didn't even take delivery of the HS yet and my attention has shifted. Got the go ahead for the new rifle. I mentioned to the wife that I've been kicking around the idea of getting a glass fronted gun cabinet and was told only if I get a quote "cool" looking big bore to go in it. That's all I needed to hear [Smile]

Even though it's the wife's idea [Wink] I'm still looking into just rounding out my "Ideal 3" for Africa. 1) .5"moa .300 wthby for pretty much everything in N/A and Plainsgame 2) .416 for the Big 5 and then 3) Searcy .470 double rifle.

I was going to look into getting a custom .416 made and have Bachelder's make the stock, but was really impressed by the look of the Ruger M77 Magnum.

Posts: 543 | Location: Belmont, MI | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I sure love mine. It shoots well and looks beautiful. By the way, mine is the M77

Joel Slate
Slate & Associates, LLC
www.slatesafaris.com

7mm Rem Mag Page www.slatesafaris.com/7mm.htm

Posts: 643 | Location: DeRidder, Louisiana USA | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GMaxon,

The Ruger 77 RSM in 416 Rigby is my favorite rifle. Put a new pad on it and touch up the trigger and you'll love them too. Mine is very accurate...yesterday I put 3 into one slightly oversize hole and a 4th to make it an inch...good stuff IMO and my rifle isn't a fluke. These things are wonderful [Big Grin]

John

Posts: 831 | Location: Mount Vernon, WA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
I have a M77 that was re-bored and re-chambered to 470 Mbogo. I love it.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<500 A2>
posted
My 500 A2 is a rebored Ruger M77 Magnum 416 Rigby. I love it. The rifle has been fitted with a new recoil pad, rebored and rechambered, and glass bedded. Other than those modifications it is factory stock [Smile] .

Lucs

one of us
Picture of Big Bore
posted Hide Post
I have both. Both are excellent rifles and are sub-MOA shooters. I could not be more pleased with either.

Posts: 641 | Location: Indiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just bought a new M77. Like it fine althought my FFL dealer had to return the 1st one that came in due to a cracked stock. The next one turned out fine, shoots great and I'm liking it a lot.

Posts: 933 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Got three M77 Magnums. One in .375 H&H(for the wife), one in .416 Rigby(mine) and one in .450 Rigby that I'm in the process of checkering and finishing the stock on. Solid and a bargain at the price. The .416 Rigby is a great cartridge, will almost copy the Weatherby data with less pressure. You get one and you'll not regret it. Lawdog

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
<Terry P>
posted
I owned a M77 in a 416 Rigby and it was the most accurate rifle I've ever owned.. period. One hole, three shot group, with 350gr Barnes X and Rel 22. I never had a flier with this rifle. It can be loaded to Weatherby ballistics but probably no need to do that. A friend of mine uses the 350gr barnes for his one and only load and his are loaded to 2900fps as I recall. That's his one rifle for Africa gun and load. Mine was one of the newer ones with the barrel band and his was the older model. Both shot the same.
Regards,
Terry