Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

500 / 416 Krieghoff Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anybody out there has experience with this round?

I have read at www.grosswildjagd.de that the .458 together with the .470 to have not enough penetration and this round should be better.

Apart from Krieghoff who chambers rifles in this round? I have no ballistics but think it will be the rimmed sister of the .416 Rigby.

As .416 components are now plentiful, this looks like an interesting idea.

Good Shooting H

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have not used this cartridge but I think it certainly must be a very fine and user friendly rifle / cartridge combination.
I am unaware of any manufacturer other than Krieghoff offering rifles in this chambering but I feel it likely to happen.
The 2300 fps is about what the Rigby delivered in its' heyday and represents a well established and respected level of performance. It would be a nice buffalo rifle, I think. It would also work well for the dangerous game "Huntress" who may not quite be able to handle larger and heavier doubles effectively.
I may be wrong in this but I seem to recall reading that the cartridge designer was Art Alphin of "A-Aquare" or another renown American firearms figure. My humble apologies if I am mistaken.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
<Norbert>
posted
When Krieghoff a few years ago brought their double rifle "Classic Big Five" on the market, they also offered a new rimmed cartridge 500/416 as a parallel to the .416 Rigby, because there was no such efficient cartridge in this caliber range on the market. They developed it with Wolfgang Romey, who is also the manufacturer now. It is a very good cartridge, but the market for doubles is very small, so I don�t know any other manufacturer.

Art Alphin tried to introduce a modern .458 rimmed cartridge, the .450 Assegai, listed for 500 gr at 2400 f/s.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Norbert (edited 06-25-2001).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that should be the ultimate double rifle cartridge, at least for me. I don't like the Kriegoff rifle with that wacky safty thats an accident waiting to happen, as usual, the Germans over engineer everything.....and leave a lot to be desired in stock design.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Although I do not own a double, my perception is that a double is at its best when employed as a close quarters stopper. But typically we think of .458 diameter and UP when we think of stoppers. If it were me, I would be tempted by the .577 NE or maybe the .500 NE.

All of the above is personal opinion only.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Purely from paper, I think I would prefer the Heym to the Krieghoff.

Anybody with bad xperiences with the .470? Really up to now I considered it the "ideal" stopper, perhaps equal to the .500.

Good Shooting! H

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
The Heym is much more pleasing to the eye than the Kreighoff, but more money. I suppose one could get used to that safety/cocking devise; I just don't care for it.

Posts: 19316 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good idea, the Germans seem definately fond of safeties/more safeties/doesn�t go bang.

IMHO on earlier Blasers You had to pull levers/type in code before firing - each barrel separately if applicable! :-)))

H

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
aHUNTER, Searcy makes their delux grade double rifle chambered for the 500/416K and it is a fine cartridge, as is the Searcy rifle. The market for double rifles may seem small compared to the K-mart Remington rifles, but it is not small, by any standard, where custom rifles are concerened.

The 500/416K is, for all practical purposes, a modern day 450/400 3" NE and is one of the best ballanced chamberings for double rifle that one could buy. The market, however, may not support this chambering, simply because it doesn't have the 1890-1900 ancesters that poeple like in double rifles.
I personaly would very much like to have a Searcy double rifle chambered for this cartridge. I truley believe this is one of the best cartridges to come down the pike for it's entended purpose, general African hunting of heavy game! Just my .02 cents!

------------------
..Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY DESIGNS
Collector/trader of fine double rifles, and African wildlife art

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never handled one of Searcy's doubles but I have shot the Krieghoff in the 500/416. Not totally unpleasant but the stock didn't really fit me very well. The rifle seemed well made but I could have used a slightly higher comb and a bit more weight in the butt. The best handling double I ever handled and shot was a Wm Douglas .470. fit me to a "T". All I shot were some low-power practice rounds but I really like the way the rifle moved.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Vasa>
posted
Except for Krieghoff and Searcy, also Rigby (California) and Ziegenhahn & Sohn (Germany) advertise that they make double rifles in 500/416 NE. Cases are available from Bell (MAST Tech.) and Wolfgang Romey (possibly made by Bertram??) and reloading dies from RCBS. Bullets for a .416, well, they are available anywhere, even in my backwoods, corner-store, sporting goods store up here.
There is reloading data published in the German magazine 'Jagen Weltweit', issue 3/2000. It gives data for 7 different powders, 6 different bullet brands, and 4 bullet weights. If anybody else reloads for this cartridge, e-mail me, and I will send you the data.
I love my Krieghoff 500/416 NE. It shoots very well, fits me like a glove, and is flexible enough that I can take it out for big grizzly and moose, as well as for Africa. It also has a Swarovski, low power, variable scope in quick detachable mounts that can be put on when needed. For my needs, it is hard to beat.

Vasa

------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
Heym for sure makes this caliber in doubles and combo!!!! guns, too. I found it in their catalog. Didn�t check the website, but the address is:

heym-waffenfabrik.de

For any bolt addicts out there: they even make a ( semi ) factory built rifle in .600 ...

Have fun! h

------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the Searcy, Wm. O. Douglas and Merkel in that order....I'd love a Searcy in a 577, I hate the recoil but the results are certainly impressive beyound description....

As it is, I shoot a Jefferys 450-400-3" as most of you know, named "Sweet Thang" and I will never change, she works just fine for me and I can shoot her so well its scary, something akin to voodoo some tell me, I can close my eyes and point from any position and when I peek the sights are ALWAYS spot on the button, guess she fits my frame......

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Antonio>
posted
Have a look at A-Square�s reloading manual, page 526, for what is called the 416 Rimmed there... It seems to me that this is pretty much the same thing.

Antonio