THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Which is better and why? 375 Weatherby Mag vs. 375 H&H Ackley Improved.

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which is better and why? 375 Weatherby Mag vs. 375 H&H Ackley Improved. Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Why would 375 Weatherby be better or worse than the 375 H&H Ackley Improved? I'm planning on getting a 375 barrel for my 300 Winchester Magnum. I planning an Africa trip. Any thoughts. Thanks ahead of time for your advice.

posted Hide Post
Well, if you're going to hunt in a country where they require the cartridge headstamp to match the stamping on the rifle, the .375Wby. is 'better' by virtue of the existence of properly-headstamped brass (of course, there are outfits that will provide custom headstamped brass, so that may be a moot point).

Ballistically, they're about the same.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
If you are going to do a straight barrel switch on a .300 WinMag you might want to look into the .375 Ruger as well. Probably no need to change the magazine box (on my Model 70 the box would have to be changed) and probably not much work on the feeding rails.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What George said, pure, simple and straight forward.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackley Improved User:
Why would 375 Weatherby be better or worse than the 375 H&H Ackley Improved? I'm planning on getting a 375 barrel for my 300 Winchester Magnum. I planning an Africa trip. Any thoughts. Thanks ahead of time for your advice.

The only diff. is the radius shoulder on the WBY. dancing

Posts: 2352 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
Well, if you're going to hunt in a country where they require the cartridge headstamp to match the stamping on the rifle, the .375Wby. is 'better' by virtue of the existence of properly-headstamped brass (of course, there are outfits that will provide custom headstamped brass, so that may be a moot point).

Ballistically, they're about the same.

George

If you ream out your H&H chamber for the .375 Weatherby and fireform H&H brass then your barrel marking and cases will still be the same.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMHO, which is just that; improving a 375H&H does not require one to change the barrel caliber markings much. The barrel will match the casehead stamp. The addition of small "AI" behind the original markings does nothing to complicate your journey thru customs. You will make yourself crazy setting the Wby dies. Go with the improved.

Rich
DRSS
NOT! a wby fan

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PWS
posted Hide Post
If it helps any, I've got a set of Redding 40deg Imp .375H&H dies, p/n 80440, I'll sell for $50. Used but in new condition. This is the AI version.

They're just collecting dust here.

Mike

Posts: 1141 | Location: Kodiak | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PWS, I am very interested! Would you PM me with the details, address, etc. Regards, AIU

one of us
Picture of Strut10
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
You will make yourself crazy setting the Wby dies.

Idaho..........

How's come?? I don't consider myself to be a wealth of reloading knowledge. But I get by. I have Redding dies and had zero trouble setting them up. Am I missing something important??

Founder....the OTPG

Posts: 764 | Location: slightly off | Registered: 22 March 2004Reply With Quote