THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Question for Bill T. - Wells Wildcats

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for Bill T. - Wells Wildcats Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I wonder if Bill T. can tell us what the following cartridges are:

458 x 585 wells

510 x 585 wells

585 nyati improved

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Mitch>
posted
The 458x585 and the 510x585 are the 585 Nyati
case necked down. I believe the 585 Nyati improved is the 585 Nyati case lenthed to 3.0 or either 3.1 inches.

<Bill Tompkins>
posted
500grains,

Mitch is correct. We started drafting out the cases from the original Nyati dimensions and playing with neck sizes and shoulder locations. I spent about 4 weeks running the various cartridges through QuickLoad and QuickTarget to give Fred the best idea possible of their performances, since the dies, reamers and form sets were going to be expensive.

We started the series at .375 and stopped with the 585 Nyati. This case uses lots of powder and big, heavy bullets. We've done some work with the larger cases but it's as if we could use some REALLY slow powders. Lack of time hurts more than anything else. I'll pull some files and see what I might be able to post.

Bill

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Interested project
Bill T., please, report some results . . . .375 - do you think .375/585 ?

Jiri

Posts: 2082 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Would it be possible for someone to clarify for me some of the particulars about the above cartridges? I am wondering because I have a case that is headstamped "BELL 577NE" that has had the rim turned off and an extractor groove cut in. It has a very unobtrusive shoulder and a riduculously large bullet. I was told it was a 585 Nyati. I have also the same case that is necked to accept a bullet of 0.505". Would this be the Wells mentioned above, or something else?
Thank you, Bill in NE

Posts: 165 | Location: Adams, NE USA | Registered: 08 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The case you have sounds just like the 585 nyati designed by ROss Seyfried. Wells has taken that case and necked down to various wildcats, per the posts above. Bill T. can tell you for sure, but I think the Wells 50 cal wildcat is .510 diameter, not .505. There is much better bullet selection in .510 diameter than .505.

The nyati case holds 160 grains of powder, so lots of velocity can be obtained if desired.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
500Grains,

What is the water case capacity of the 585 Nyati?

Thanks,
Kent

Posts: 116 | Location: Cleves, IA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kent, I don't remember. I will try to measure it at home.