THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Restoration of a .375 H&H extra finish rifle

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Restoration of a .375 H&H extra finish rifle Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A special gun came in for restoration and I thought some of you might enjoy seeing it. Single square bridge Oberndorf magnum action, letters as a extra finish gun from Holland. The story I heard was that it was owned by a wealthy family in the North East and Stored in an attic for years where rodents had urinated on it. I believe it, it was deeply pitted to say the least. I struck out what I could and the remainder was micro welded, then the engraving re-cut, rust blued finish.

After the metal was refinished

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Well done Steve…you do good work.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36633 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
Cool!

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
nice. A takedown, no?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for taking the time and making the effort to show us this special rifle!

Posts: 468 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent. Glad to see the old warhorse getting shod.

Posts: 10905 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very cleverly done. Restored and its vintage remains intact. A nice looking rifle to start with that is more appealing as a result. A credit to a skilled gunsmith.
Did you check the condition of the bore ?

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2021 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the kind words Gentlemen. The rifle is indeed a take down and bore remains in very nice condition.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A true work of art! Both the original rifle and the restoration work are wonderful! It's so nice to see the proper skills and effort made to restore such a unique rifle to its former glory.

Posts: 234 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 24 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

Posts: 10633 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nicely done !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That’s great work! I am amazed how it turned out.

What year?

I have a 1913 similar but takedown. Love that quarter rib. IIRC the 50yd leaf is also stamped for 200yds.

DRSS

Posts: 1908 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also 1913 I believe.

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Wow! A skill I envy and do not possess. shocker

Posts: 9119 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an old double that might benefit from your work

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2847 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Really nice work!

Posts: 11 | Location: The First Coast | Registered: 30 August 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice work. Is it common for the barrel stampings to be what we would call backwards?
I've handled a few H&H bolt guns at DSC, but ding recall if they were that way.

I know where there was a large house with the attic lined with old guns. I fear it didn't end well for them.

Good luck and good shooting.
In Memory of Officer Nik Green, #198, Oklahoma Highway Patrol Troop G...Murdered in the line of duty 12-26-03...A Good Man, A Good Officer, and A Good Friend gone too soon

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amazing thing is if it is a 1913 rifle they changed the takedown method from metal plates, front ring bolt and removing barrel and forend takedown to the superior method shown by this rifle. Mine is the older method and I think the latter method is far superior.

I have heard theories as to why they changed. And the belted Magnum is a far higher pressure round than the previous 375 magazine rifle cartridge.

Once again, a beautiful rifle and a grand restoration!

DRSS

Posts: 1908 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I read Ken Waters talk about a 303-375 Axite. There also the 400-375. I'm certain there were others before the H&H belted Mag

Good luck and good shooting.
In Memory of Officer Nik Green, #198, Oklahoma Highway Patrol Troop G...Murdered in the line of duty 12-26-03...A Good Man, A Good Officer, and A Good Friend gone too soon

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love restoration jobs on old guns..Thats a great gun before and after, wish it were mine..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SkB, Im mulling around wondering if you might take my 318 Wesley Richards to perform your magic, Not sure but it a dead ringer for your rifle but in much better condition than yours was, no pits decent rust blue, solid wood with scratches but checkering is nice..??? just curious?? Interested??

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve, Gustav would be all over that one! :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Steve, Gustav would be all over that one! :-)

I hope to be able to sell this rifle for the current owner one day.

I have others I'm trying to sell Gustav currently Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
You have a PN

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120