THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    416 on one of the new cases?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

416 on one of the new cases? Login/Join

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted
Does anyone make a 416 on one of the new large cases, like Remingtons Ultra Mag.
The case I speaking of is that new one that's the same diameter as the belt on the current mag cases.
My thought is this would make a 416 Taylor with a bit more ommph to it.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted
Jim,

I think Z-hat and others do. Use the search button at top of page to search Reloading and Big Bore forums for 416 Ultra. Should point you to the threads.

I'd like to see one myself.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 416 Dakota which has been out for some time is based on the 404 Jeffrey case. Its case design is quite different than the RUM cases but they get 2450 out of 400 grain bullet.

If the 416 RUM does appear it should be in that ball park, but how much more is needed.

Steve

------------------
Every man dies, but not every man really lives!!

Posts: 439 | Location: Kansas by way of Colorado and Montana | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
arkypete - I have a .416 Dakota. Santala is correct, the .416 Dakota is based upon the .404 Jeffery case. I shoot Woodleigh Softs and Solids with 100gr H-4831SC which yields 2,500 fps. The .416 Rigby with 100gr of H-4831 yields 2,400fps So you can do a little more with a little less with the Dakota design. The over all case length with the Dakota is 2.85 and the Rigby is 2.90 (the Taylor is 2.50). Other than this, there are no big difference between the two cartridges.

Dakota brass is available from Dakota and Huntington. You can purchase loaded ammo from Dakota in a wide verity of loads and bullets. I have several other Dakota propriety cartridges, so the .416Dak was a natural selection. The gun is built properly with an un-braked 24" barrel and is a pleasure to shoot. The .416 recoil does not remove your fillings as most would have you believe.

I would recommend that you look at either the Dakota or the Rigby case design. You can load them up or down depending upon you preference. If you are looking for a little more performance flexibility over the Taylor, you will be happy with either case design. If you are in the market for a new action, I would suggest that you look at the Dakota action.

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some one did a 404 case 416 shortened to 2.5" though here at work I cannot look up the perpetrator of the deed.2500 fps with 400 gr bullets. for those people of the short magnum forte.

Posts: 280 | Location: SARASOTA , FL. | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
The last one mentioned would be the 416 Howell, developed by Ken Howell in the late 70's, 404 shortened to 2.5" and necked down to 416. I have Ken Howell's original reamer, and John Ricks is using it to chamber a few rifles. For the same effort of building a 416 Taylor, you get the case capacity of a 416 rem mag. Now with the ultra mag brass, it is less exspensive to make brass then using 404 brass. 404 brass is .540" at the head and rim, ultra mag brass is .540" at the head, and the rim is rebated to .532". Properly setup, the rifle can use either brass.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
zero drift... since you shoot woodleighs (dont the make a great bullet) in 416... I saw that midway is selling a bulk pack of 410 gr 416... a 500 count on clearence.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
smallfry - Thanks for the info. I have my Midway catalogue in front of me at this moment. The question that I have attempted to answer numerous times about Woodleigh is when did they toughen up the .416 soft? Is there a production date for the cut-over to the new jacket? I am hoping that either Midway or Huntington knows the answer.

UPDATE - Neither Midway or Huntington have the new MK II jacketed .416 bullets catalogue number 37A. I am waiting for info from Woodleigh as to when they will begin shipping the bullets to the US. Maybe some of our Australian forum friends can check with the local supply houses for the new .416 bullets. I am anxious to use them on my upcoming hunt.

[This message has been edited by Zero Drift (edited 07-16-2001).]

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have allways thought if I were to build a wildcat 416, that I would simply neck down the 404 Jefferys and retain that tapered case for ease of extraction and feeding..

I could get an easy 2650 FPS out of that round with the 400 gr. bullet...I have consistently gotten that velocity in a 404 Jefferys with a 400 gr. bullet and 95 gr. of IMR-4831 and hardly any pressure....but all that said, I'll just take the old 404 Jefferys as is, and load it down to 2300 FPS where it kills best....

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41850 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<DOC>
posted
I was informed by Mike at Midway that is was the old style woodleigh soft that is on clearance. I don't know who will buy 500 of them at a time, I wish I could.

DOC

one of us
posted Hide Post
Arkypete.....John Lazzeroni makes a short .416 loosely based on the Rigby case shorted to 2.05" for a loaded OAL of 2.75"...calls it the Maverick. His published performance is a 400gr bullet at 2400 fps which duplicates the .416 Rem and exceeds the .416 Taylor. this is all in a round no longer, but a lot fatter, than a .308 Winchester. If you buy a rifle off of John they're not cheap but they do shoot. There are several custom riflemakers out there who build them for just slightly more than the regular cartridges.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote