THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Remington 405gr SPs - terminal velocity question

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 405gr SPs - terminal velocity question Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a large supply on hand of the old Remington 405gr SP .458" bullet.

My best load for my (miroku) Win 1885 45/70 prints 5 shot cloverleafs at 100yds. I'd like use it for a black bear hunt next spring.

I'm getting 1880 fps muzzle velocity, but knowing this is a pretty soft bullet meant for normal lever gun use, does anyone know what a "proper" terminal velocity range is for this bullet?

I'm expecting ranges from 25-200 yds on the hunt, just making sure when close-in that bullet at 1800+ won't just come apart on impact and limit penetration.

Or at 405 grains against a black bear a done deal regardless?

I tried looking through the pinned post about Michael458's work, but that's a lot of info...

Posts: 256 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 18 July 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I have used them at over 2500 fps in the 458 accrel and near that in the 458 winmag.. i THINK they are fine under 2000 fps, but even at light speed they "expand" and pass clean through big pigs...

iirc they are meant for 1500fps impact, but my personal experience says they'll do fine at higher speeds. I don't believe 300 lbs in black bear or boar is a measurable difference .. they'll be fine, hit hard, and deliver the game

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38487 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm getting 1880 fps muzzle velocity, but knowing this is a pretty soft bullet meant for normal lever gun use, does anyone know what a "proper" terminal velocity range is for this bullet?

Don't worry the terminal velocity well be just fine.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use them in my 458 Lott for deer they can be explosive at high velocity but carry enough weight to give expressive results. If you want to be rid of them I would be interested. But I think they would be perfect for the 45-70

One of Us
posted Hide Post
An excellent bullet for the hunt are describing.

Posts: 354 | Location: pueblo, Co. USA | Registered: 01 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I have used them many years in a 45/70 lever action. My experience is that 2000 fps is the maximum velocity to push them. They fully expand and the core and jacket start to come apart at this speed.

Posts: 5700 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have used the Speer 350s on bear; they are made tougher; they kill them very dead very quickly. marlin 45-70. Those 405s are made thin and for black powder velocities. Not hot loads.

Posts: 17122 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with DPCD they are too soft, even on deer sometimes, did not quite work for me on occasions.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41858 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I still have a bunch. Worked great on a black bear at 100 yds going away. Hit in short ribs and made exit on offside just behind the shoulder. DRT. MV from my Marlin ~ 2110 fps, impact at ~ 1835 fps. Have also used the 400gr Speer at 1865 fps MV, impact velocity ~1550 fps. Dead bear at ten yards from where hit. Bullet retained 90.5%, expanded over 1". It's a lot softer than the 405 Remington.

I heard stories that Remington made that 405 softer also for a period and then went back to the original. Mine are not soft, and have a much better BC than the Speer, and are also dual diameter - the first half being a "bore rider". If the ones you have are like mine, I'd have no fear of pushing them to 2000 fps at least.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"Let every created thing give praise to the LORD, for he issued his command, and they came into being" - King David, Psalm 148 (NLT)

Posts: 847 | Location: Kawartha Lakes, ONT, Canada | Registered: 21 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I liked the 350 gr RN Hornady back in the day in my 86 in 45-90 on deer and elk, later on I went to the thick jacket Hawk.Im sure there are better bullets than any factory bullet for the 45-70.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41858 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote