THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    JudgeG's 404Jeffery finished pics
Page 1 2 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

JudgeG's 404Jeffery finished pics Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BIJOUCREEK
posted

stock being cut in Automatic mode!
I will post a video of the the machine running in Automatic mode soon.

claw mounts just about finished. This was my first set of claw mounts and it took about 3 days. I started with a set of winchester M 70 bases from Recknagel, then Blank rings. I had to use blank rings because I wanted the scope extremely low, because of the stocks drop. It took about a 1/2 day to measure and align the scope to the bore, The bases were not straight with each other and not straight with the bore, this is why it took a 1/2 day of measureing and aligning the scope. I then machined the rings to about .001-002" over sized. Then it took 1 day for each ring to file in the hooks. Rifle and scope zeroed, so my measuring worked.

Hand made hand fit 1/4 rib, still needs some polish work.

Judge here it is. I was looking back and its been 13 months since we started, it seems longer but its done, now that my duplicator is up and running and I have a reliable checkerer I can get back to doing these kind of rifles a little quicker, hope its worth the wait.

Clint Mier did the checkering
Dave clevenger engraved the lettering

Posts: 155 | Location: Byers Co | Registered: 20 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Simply Gorgeous!

I too prefer the low comb stocks.. Thanks for sharing..

MopaneMike

Posts: 1112 | Location: Southern California USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
That is the ideal front sight. Flip up protector and flip up night sight tu2

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bondy
posted Hide Post
Outstanding work. What a beautiful and functional rifle that will be! tu2

Posts: 54 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 01 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Beautiful! Claw mounts, I'm jealous!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Ditto on Jealous! WinkDo we think the Judge deserves something this nice? Just kidding and congratulations Judge G. tu2

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Looks Great! Love the barrel & quarter rib!

We need more pictures. Keep them coming!

Best,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle!

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4781 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great looking stock. Mike you do good things to metal and wood!!

Posts: 929 | Location: southern illinois | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Great looking rifle & wood. Congratulations and good luck. yes I am jealous too!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11253 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BIJOUCREEK
posted Hide Post
I appreciate all the comments. keep an eye out for the finished rifle comming soon.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Very very nice !

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GREAT work Mike! I have always wanted to speak with you about a project as I've seen good work and you're local, this just confirms that in spades! WOW

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Very nice looking rifle. Is the low comb to aid in aligning your eyes up with the iron sights?

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
HUbba Hubba...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SemperFiHunter
posted Hide Post
"JudgeG"... How I wanna be when I grow up. If I ever grow up, which isn't likely if you listen to my wife. But I don't listen to my wife, so you don't have to either. (But don't tell her I said that, she would just say I was being immature!)

Congrats, JudgeG, and awesome work Bijou!

That is going to be an awesome rifle!

SemperFi!

REMANUS DURUS CORPS!

Posts: 65 | Location: Republic of Texas. | Registered: 16 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BIJOUCREEK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sevens:
Very nice looking rifle. Is the low comb to aid in aligning your eyes up with the iron sights?

Because thats how a stock is suppose to be. Smiler Yes mainly for iron sights but, the scope as well, this rifle is built to shoot heads up. Just look at your target raise the rifle to your shoulder lightly touching your cheek and fire. I never have understood craming my head and cheek down to see through the scope JMO, some prefer this.

This configuration you will not be doing much prone shooting, or bench shooting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

What do you expect it to weigh all up?

The front sight is NECG...?

Have to say it again....Great looking rifle....Classic all around...!

Best,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BIJOUCREEK
posted Hide Post
If i remember right it was 9lbs scoped and loaded full.

yes NECG's new front sight built by ERA.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is one extremely beautiful rifle.

Peter

Posts: 120 | Location: Oshkosh, WI | Registered: 21 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BIJOUCREEK
posted Hide Post
here is some finished pics

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Really nice work. How many rounds in the magazine?

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Judge and Mike!

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3519 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BIJOUCREEK
posted Hide Post
4 in the magazine 1 in the chamber

one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
Wow, Very Very Well Done! Beautifull Wood!! tu2

" If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand which feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countryman " Samuel Adams, 1772

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
fantastic

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
fantastic

Yeah, that about sums it up!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a beautiful rifle! Congratulations!
What type of recoil pad did you use?
Cheers, Hans

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That bolt handle is still crooked. Big Grin

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I just checked with USPS tracking and the rifle is supposed to be in my hands by 3:00 p.m. today!

Some of those pictures are several months old and some are new.

I think the stock is an "Old English" model in red but Mike can correct/confim that.

I had the opportunity, when the gun was being built (while on the way to hunt whitetails in western Kansas) to visit Mike's shop and make sure the sights were regulated for me (and Hornady DGS ammo). I think anyone having a gun built should do the same... why spend a bunch of money on a gun unless it is exactly what you want as to fit, finish, etc. Face to face communications can keep mistakes from happening.

I was amazed how light the rifle felt in my hands, how fast the gun came to point and I really never thought about the recoil. We also shot it a few times with a scope, just sitting in the snow resting over a stump Eeker but were still able to get the bullets to touch each other at 75 yards. Can't wait to take it to the range and use a real rest and see what it'll do.

When I get the rifle this afternoon, I'll post a bit more.... but I'm excited and looking out the door for the postman!

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7714 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Sounds like Christmas in march! dancing

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
It is Christmas in March!

dancing

Santa, disguised as a postman, came 45 minutes ago.

The former Model 70 Winchester in .300 RUM, now a .404 Jeffery, feeds well and as Mike said it holds 4 down and one in the chamber, slick as Willie Clinton (my words Big Grin).

I put the gun in a vise and mounted and unmounted the scope several times and the cross hairs seem to be returning to the same p.o.a. down the street (about 150 yards away) perfectly.

The metal work is superb, without a tool mark or blemish. If you tilt the gun slightly butt down and open the bolt, it will slide all the way open. When you work the bolt rapidly, it does make a slight mechanical sound when cocking, but if you work it already cocked (i.e., emptying the magazine) it is whisper quiet.

As the pictures show, the stock is a work of art.

But.... the very best part of the rifle is that it seems to weight nothing at all. You'd think it is a little roe deer rifle in .223 or something. I know that it weighs 9.0 lbs with the scope and 5 rounds, but it feels like 6. I can stare at something 50 or so yards away, close my eyes and mount the gun to my shoulder and when I re-open my eyes, the iron sights are right on target... and with the scope mounted, it's almost as good.

Mike did a great job and I'll try to do my part by braining an elephant with it come July.

Can't wait!

And Biebs: I told Mike to put your .300 H&H at the end of the line. You don't need to be happy.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
A real beauty Judge.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, my Swarovski Nova found a new home!

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Biebs:

The gun now has a S&B Zenith on it. The Nova is on Emmy's pink .375 H&H and is a perfect fit for it and her upcoming buffalo hunt.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Truly amazing rifle. I would love to have one just like that. I need to find a Mod 70 300 RUM action now. Thanks for sharing the full journey of building the rifle.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11253 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
pure sex, that rifle. outstanding!

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BIJOUCREEK:
quote:
Originally posted by Sevens:

Because thats how a stock is suppose to be. Smiler Yes mainly for iron sights but, the scope as well, this rifle is built to shoot heads up. Just look at your target raise the rifle to your shoulder lightly touching your cheek and fire. I never have understood craming my head and cheek down to see through the scope JMO, some prefer this.

This configuration you will not be doing much prone shooting, or bench shooting.

As soon as I saw the stock, I thought: "YES!!" tu2

The way I like 'em too!

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

"Let every created thing give praise to the LORD, for he issued his command, and they came into being" - King David, Psalm 148 (NLT)

Posts: 849 | Location: Kawartha Lakes, ONT, Canada | Registered: 21 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JudgeG and Mike,

Congrats on a fantasic rifle...I know it will get good use Wink The world is a better place with another great 404 Jeffery!

Enjoy!

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote