New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recoil pads for big bores Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Perhaps I should direct this first to 470MBOGO, as he says on his outstanding Web site that the recoil pad he likes best for big bores is the Pachmayr triple X. I was surprised to see this relatively old-fashioned ventilated pad recieve such an endorsement, instead of a Decelerator or a Kick-Eeze. Anyone have any other thoughts on which pad takes out the most sting?

Posts: 16447 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Mitch>
posted
Bill, the Answer System recoil pad works very well on my 577 t.rex. I originally had a Decelerator on it, but I decided to try the Answer pad because I was getting headaches after firing about 10 rounds. Since switching to the Answer System Pad I have not had a headache.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like a pachmyr decelerator shotgun pad.

I have considered the Answer system pad, but it is weak in aesthetics.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Mitch,
By jove you're right!! My "Answer System Pad" arrived today and I just left it sitting on the kitchen table. 20 minutes later, my migranes were gone!

[This message has been edited by Nickudu (edited 04-24-2001).]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Mitch: I didn't get any hits on a search for Answer System recoil pads. Got a Web site where I can look at or read about them? Thanks.

Posts: 16447 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Mitch>
posted
Bill/Oregon, Their web address is www.answerrifles.com

Nick, I quess you will have to start calling me Dr. Mitch since I cured your headache.

posted Hide Post
Mitch,
Speaking of Doctors, did you hok up with R.A.B. Saturday? T-Rex??

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
<Mitch>
posted
Nick, Yes, RAB is a great guy, and one of the best shooters I have ever seen. He shot my T.rex. just about as good as I can. He shot two 3 shot groups that measured just a little over .600 with my t.rex. Believe me the man can just flat out shoot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,
It would depend on what quality gun you were putting it on...I use a Silvers Pad on one of my customs, but on a plastic stocked gun I think a ventilated pad would work real well if shoulder pain bothers you....A hard rubber pad suits me as my shoulder is hardened I guess...

It's my cheek and neck that bother me. that snap really bothers me and my middle finger being hit by the trigger guard....

I never felt one recoil pad was better than another, if the gun is held firmly, others have sensitive shoulders..

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41907 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ray: I hate to admit it with all these T. Rex, Capstick, Lott, Nyati and Mbogo shooters on this board but I was going to put the pad on a little old Ruger No. 1 Tropical in pipsqueak .458 Win Mag that I plan to have reamed to .450 NE 3 1/4. I played with a Tropical in .416 Rigby for a few months shooting mostly cast bullets and liked the Decelerator a smith put on it for me, but I frankly could use a little more softening, as I just don't really shoot enough of the big kickers to get used to it. (Or at least I haven't so far.) Is there something special about the Silvers pad? I realize that the difference between many of the thicker pads is probably measurable only in miliseconds of recoil impulse spread, and that really, practice is what will help me most in the long run.

one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:

Bill,
I think you would like the Pachmayer triple X magnum. The model is an F990 you can see it in the Brownell's catalog or if you would like to see what your rifle would look like there is a number one Ruger with this pad installed on my website. The picture with the 3 rifles on the rack. Click on it to enlarge and see what you think. It's all personal preference. I've tried lots of rifles with the regular decelerators but the triple x will take the sting out. I'm not familiar with the pad on the T rex but if it softens that gun out then it must be an excellent product also. If you try it let me know what you think. Best regards

Posts: 1247 | Location: Sechelt B.C. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I installed the biggest Decelerator I could get on my #1H in .460 Weathrerby and I thought it did a good job on helping out with the recoil.

Posts: 84 | Location: Southeast AZ | Registered: 25 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Intel6:

Bill,
What pad do you have on your 458 Ruger#1 at this time? The stock is probably the same size as the stock on my 470 Mbogo that I made. If you would like to try the triple x magnum pad send me an e-mail with your address and I'll take it off my 470 and send it to you to try out. You can just send it back when you've tried it out and then post you're findings. My e-mail is dave_estergaard@sunshine.net

Posts: 1247 | Location: Sechelt B.C. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
470MBOGO: Sir, you overwhelm me with the generosity of your offer. I have sent an e-mail.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,
Nothing special about the Silvers pad other than its traditional on doubles and English rifles....

My call on recoil pads is that they accomplish little unless you hold a gun loosly....Have the toughest guy in town put his fist against your shoulder and try to hurt you, can't do it but don't give him a 3" gap...I hold the gun tightly against my shoulder and I can tell no difference in recoil with or with out a pad..I have regulated big bores with just unfinished wood with a wash cloth to ease the sharp edges....I think we Americans have been brainwashed into believing recoil pads ease the kick of a rifle, they add "bounce" and "snap" and thats my minority decision. The best thing about a recoil pad is it lets you stand a gun against the wall without slipping and falling. (grin)

That Ruger No. 1 adds new meaning to the word recoil with full loads!!! I assue you.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41907 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Norbert>
posted
You have to give way and damping for the recoiling rifle. The Triple X Mag is a good device for it.
Hold the gun loosely, to hold the gun tightly is an idea to add mass to the system and that only works when your body is of concrete.

------------------

<R. A. Berry>
posted
Somebody is confused here. You never hold a big bore loosely unless you want to get hurt. Are we having a translation problem?

------------------
Good huntin' and shootin',
Bwanawannabe, Daktari Ron

<Don G>
posted
I think so. You want to hold the rifle firmly into the shoulder, but not brace your body behind it as if to throw your shoulder into it. You often see that small people and thin whippy guys seem to most easily accept recoil. They don't try to muscle it too much, and it works.

What you don't want to do is let the rifle get a running start on you. 9.5 pounds travelling at 27 MPH is OUCH!

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
Norbert,
My body is concrete!! covered in wang leather.....

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
If anyone has doubts or questions about whether a heavy kicker should be held tight or loose, just watch the videos again. Try to find the mathematical equation between the gap between the pad and the shoulder and how high the gun flies into the air.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote