THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    What's the biggest thing you shoot in the T/C contender?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's the biggest thing you shoot in the T/C contender? Login/Join

one of us
posted
Shot a 375 JDJ this weekend and thought it easily controllable (more so than my Linebaugh revolvers)...Kind of said to myself, "Want more than that." Talking to Gary Reeder about his 450 & 475 GNR...your thoughts? Keep in mind this gun will be designed for living in Alaska among the bears and the possible hunt in Africa or Australia.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
<BigBores>
posted
Yukon,

45-70 in 16" contender, recoil not bad, but couldn't get any of my friends to try it. The break has to go on the factory Hunter package though, just my opinion.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to www.sskindustries.com they have a bunch of calibers you can bust your knuckles with.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
The biggest barrel I currently have is a 218 mashburn, well, its the only barrel I currently have! Anyhow, the one problem with the contender is the frame limits the performance of the really big rounds. If you really want a thumper, think about doing it on an encore frame. I really like the contender, but don't see it as the best way to set up a big bore pistol.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've thought about the 45-70 as I already have the Marlin 1895ss leveraction in 45-70 so components are easy. I've also thought about the Encore but I'd have to get another frame, etc. and I'm not ready to do that yet. Also, the trigger is not as good as the Contender and it seems bulkier but perhaps extra weight is what's needed for the big bores.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I second that with Paul... the encore is TCs response to the rather frail contender frame. Though the barrles have no problem taking pressure, the hinge pin and frame take an enormous beating from breach thrust... esp. from the larger rounds and prolong shooting.
as a defensive handgun, your Linebaugh(s) (assuming they are 45 LCs or 475s) would be a better pick "among the bears"

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Just a 7mm-08 in my 15" Encore.

Sorry to disappoint!

But hey! I beat Paul!!!

(Sorry Paul )

------------------
Brian
The 416 Taylor WebPage!

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Harald>
posted
I have a .45-70 on a 15 inch Fox Ridge custom barrel with a TSOB base and MagNaPorted. With 300 grain loads at 1800 fps its merely fun. Pushing 400 grainer at 1600 fps its a little rough and the recoil is sufficient to require that I take a step backward to avoid falling. It just barely tips me over backward. The sensation is very similar to hitting your palm with a rubber mallet (I'm not exaggerating). With 500 grain bullets moving along at 1400 fps its just plain mean. I think the most shots I have managed in a session with 400 grain or 500 grain loads is between 8 and 13 depending on the mix. Its not much fun after that and I do wear a PAST glove. But my real complaint is that its heavy and difficult to hold steady in any sort of safe shooting posture (a friend got pistol whipped once by trying to use that forearm).

one of us
posted Hide Post
I should have clarified that I have 475 & 500 Linebaugh revolvers for daily carry and backup. I'm looking for a "short rifle" for hunting the big boys and the .375 doesn't qualify...as I may not always have someone there with a rifle for backup.

posted Hide Post
I have a .375JDJ. It's potent enough for anything I'd want to hunt, Cape buffalo included.

JD Jones has a .475JDJ, which is the .45-70 blown out and necked up to .475. I would not fire that gun when JD offered it to me. He said the grip screw lasts about 3-5 shots before it fails!

Virgin Valley Custom Guns offers big bore Encore barrels chambered for the .416 Rigby, among others.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
411 JDJ! Super 14 barrel, with a 2 1/2" permenetly mounted brake, so it can be legally used with the carbine stock! Built this gun over a year ago, and have not fired it yet, in fact, I have not even bought any 444 brass to make the cases out of! I really don't know why I built it to start with. ???????????????????????

------------------
..Mac >>>===(x)===>

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Mac, tell me more about the .411 JDJ. Why did you get it and why not shoot it? Is it for sale?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yukon... If you are load your Linebaugh 475 to its potential (385-440 LBTs)I dont think you will find that the contender has anything more to offer, unless you just want to shoot a bear (brown I am assuming) with a different cartridge. Aside... it is a scoped single shot... I wouldnt advise to take any real close shots. None of the cartridges in the contender are going to make such a huge difference and over shadow your 5 shot 475.
just my 2 cents

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Lars G>
posted
I've got a 445 SuperMag with a 12" Hunter barrel (w/T/C's muzzle brake.) I shoot mostly 300 grainers with 4227. The muzzle blast and jump with H110/W296 is too much for me. I've shot the 375 JDJ with a brake also - It's on par with the 445 SM.

one of us
posted Hide Post
After talking to Mike Bellm and Gary Reeder, I'm leaning towards the Encore frame with a wildcat .475 chambering (yet to be decided). That would complement my FA Linebaugh and I may have my Marlin 45-70 rechambered to .475 GNR by Reeder also. I do love the .475 caliber!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a 458x2" in my old contender with no problems.I've only shot maybe 150 rd. of 458 with it though. Recoil is not bad but 15-20 shot per session is max for me.If you are interested I'll send you some data.Mark

Posts: 109 | Location: Sask.Ca | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yukon delta:
Hey Mac, tell me more about the .411 JDJ. Why did you get it and why not shoot it? Is it for sale?

Sorry it took so long to answer your post, but I just saw it today.

The 411 JDJ is made on a super 14", 41 Rem mag barrel, rechambered for the 411 JDJ by Curt Custom Guns in Florida. He mounted his muzzle brake, to come up with a barrel length of 16.5 " so it is legal to use the carbine stock. The chamber was cut with a throut long enough to use 300 gr bullets, and seat them properly. It has a 2x20 Redfield pistol scope, and is mounted in Weaver mounts & rings . The grip is the oversize magnum wooden grip, and fore end. The hand gun has not been fired with this new chambering, and I have not aquired a carbine stock for it. It also has a 10" .223 Rem. bull barrel, also with a 2x Redfield pistol scope. The 223 barrel is a tack driver, and the 41 mag in this barrel before the re-chambering, was a very accurate shooter as well, so I see no reason for it not to shoot well with the 411 JDJ, with porper handloads.

Yukon, I have no idea what this set-up is worth, but I could be persuaded to part with it, by sale, or trade, for what ever ??????????!

------------------
..Mac >>>===(x)===>

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Pfeifer>
posted
yukon delta,
Tell me more about the .475 GNR...I believe this is what a guy at the indoor range has. He was telling me about a big .4xx Gary Reeder custom 1895 Marlin that he has that will really "rock you".

I mentioned in my 50 Alaskan Siamese Mauser posting about a .475 Alaskan - wondering if anyone has done one of these? Kinda the same well travelled footsteps of Linebaugh and others(?) - KO vs penetration.

Jeff Pfeifer