THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    CZ 550 MAG....Any Good??????????????

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ 550 MAG....Any Good?????????????? Login/Join

<Bill>
posted
Are the CZ 550 magnums any good. I was thinking of one in 416 rigby. I was planing on putting it in a synthetic stock from Bell and Carlson.

Are the actions on these guns as strong as traditional mauser actions? Are they well made?

<redleg155>
posted
Does Bell and Carlson make a stock for the big CZ 550 or would it be a custom job?

Thanks,

redleg

posted Hide Post
Hi Bill,
A fellow Long Islander here. I think highly of the new CZ-550 actions, as I do its' forerunner, the BRNO ZZK-602. My gunmakers R.S.A. are also of this opinion and more so with the CZ-550 as it requires less work to "shape up" for a custom rifle.
I have a new .505 Gibbs on the CZ-550 and you are most welcome to come see it, first hand. Enjoy the nice weather!

Best ... Nick

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
<Bill>
posted
Nick,

I have seen the guns and was rather impressed. The thing I worry about with an 'off' brand, a catagorey it could be placed in, is that it will break and there will be no parts available. I am glad to hear you like them, my friend purchased a standard 550 in 3006, he shot .5 moa out of the box and was very happy with it. The only thing I did not like was the plastuc floorplate his gun had.

Bill

<Mitch>
posted
Bill, I have seen Nick's 505 Gibbs in person and it is a very nice rifle. The CZ550 action is very strong I know several fellows who have built 585 Nyati's on them. In fact my 577 t.rex. is built on the very similar BBK-02 action, and I have not had any problems with it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a CZ 550. It's short of a mag (9.3 mauser) but I've t not only reliable, but with handloads it prints groups at 100 yds that fit under a nickle. BTW, my handloads have power seated right up to the neck.

it's a fine rifle but a scarce replacement for an M70 Winchester

Posts: 1723 | Location: wyo | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Carcara>
posted
Nick,
What do your gunmakers do to shape up a 550?
I'd replace the recoil pad with a Pachmyer,
jewel the mirror finish extractor, fill in that funny hole in the bolt knob. But they look pretty shootable as is.

<oneshot>
posted
Have recently bought a cz 550 in 375 H&H and i really like it. Seems to be very strong.
I too would put a packmyer pad on it and replace the slingswivel on the foreend of the stock to a barrel ring.
One thing i have painfully realized is that the bolts internals must be only lightly oiled or you will get a squirt of it right in your eye when shooting or dryfiring it!
By the way does anyone know who make scopemounts for it apart from CZ and Warne?

one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
Hi Oneshot

Millet makes rings for the Brno-CZ. I bought a pair, but decided that they didn�t look strong enough for my .375 H&H Magnum's recoil. I am returning these rings, but I think they would be fine for .338 and smaller rifles.

Also, Talley has made their excellent rings to fit the BRNO dovetailed reciever in the past, but have (as of Dec 21 2000) no immediate plans to make another run of them. PLEASE email them and let them know that there WILL be a market for them if they make another batch. Send your email to Gary at

"Talley Mfg. Inc." <talley@trib.com>

As you can see, I want a pair for my rifle! These rings look great, and I can't imagine anything stronger or sleeker than these rings on a rifle without requiring separate bases at all!

jpb

[This message has been edited by jpb (edited 03-09-2001).]

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Carcara,
I am referring to the action only here.
Checking square, polishing feedramp and rails, lapping the lugs etc., etc. The CZ-550 requires a bit less work to prepare as the basis of a custom rifle than did the ZZK-602. The only negative attached to it from their perspective is that the grooves for the integral scope mounts minimize surface area for any desired engraving on the receiver.
Best ... Nick

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
oneshot,

I've got Warn rings on mine. They put an extra pound on the rifle, and I had to shim them.

Anyway, CZ sells rings for the 550 actions, last I checked.

Posts: 1723 | Location: wyo | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote
<oneshot>
posted
Thanks jpb and curtis_lemay
Jpb: i have e-mailed Talley ,hope it helps

<white hunter>
posted
I recently purchased a CZ 550 in 375 H&H, almost as accurate as my Sako in 375 at half the price. I also would like the front sling mount on the barrel instead of on the stock, but am very pleased with it over all. I have always found CZ's products to be well made and priced.

<Paleohunter>
posted
I'm new here and I don't really know if this belongs in this thread? Anyway I have a CZ550 in 9.3x62 LUX and I was wondering if any one knew of a stock duplicator Co. or gunsmith or stocksmith I like the Bavarian stly stock but would like to have a better pice of wood.
Sorry if this doesn't belong here but thanks for any help.

one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Paleohunter:

I have four 602 actions and they are very strong and reliable. I have used them for 375 Weatherby,416 Rigby, 450 Ackley and for the 500 A-Square. I've had no problems with any of them. They offer the best magazine length. The only problem was the safety working backwards to most rifles. The CZ 550 has taken care of this problem and is finished to a much higher quality level. The only stock that I've found that fits (using the term fits loosely)the 550 is the MPI stock. I think the stock is very good but it will take a lot of work. It was originally made for the 602 action. I had the Warn quick detach rings on my 450 Ackley and it ate two sets so I went back to the standard rings.They are definitly built tough. If you want to see the MPI stock it's on my 470 Mbogo in the Comparing the Big Bores portion. Just click on the picture of the four guns and it will blow up so you can get a good idea. Best of luck. 470 Mbogo

Posts: 1247 | Location: Sechelt B.C. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 470 Mbogo:
[B][QUOTE]Originally posted by Paleohunter:

Biil,
I should mention that when I was in London I stopped in at John Rigby &Co. and they were using some CZ602 actions for some of the rifles they had in progress.They worked them over pretty well as the 602 was fairly rough but I think it speaks very highly of the action itself.

Posts: 1247 | Location: Sechelt B.C. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Cobalt>
posted
My .460WM is on a 602 BRNO (circa 1987) and you are certainly correct about the amount of finish work that was required. My new 550 .308 target, while certainly no Sako, is finished to a much higher degree. MPI did the stock 14 years ago and I have been please. Cobalt