THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    North Fork Bullets (Pictures)

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

North Fork Bullets (Pictures) Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BW
posted
Gents,

Mike was kind enough to send me one more brochure, and I didn't lose it this time!

I have some work to do, getting these pictures on my website, but I thought I'd share them with you guys who have been interested in these bullets.

Here's the front of the brochure, and a price list...

Here's a nice picture of the bullets expanding at different speeds...

The next picture is too large to fit nicely here. It is a cross-sectioned bullet, and shows the groove up close. Click the link to see it...

North Fork Brochure

------------------
Brian
The 416 Taylor WebPage!

[This message has been edited by BW (edited 11-19-2001).]

[This message has been edited by BW (edited 11-19-2001).]

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How do they compare in length to other premium bullets...let's say with a Nosler Partition in .308 and .375?

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted
Note the rifling impressed on the shank of the bullet ahead of the driving bands.

I like the fact that they have the weight of the lead.

Any first-hand knowledge of how accurate they are and how they foul?

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use North Forks' in a .338 win & .416 Dakota. They shoot very good and I have had zero fouling from both. You can expect an additional 100fps compared to an equal weight Swift A-frame with the same powder charge. Lengthwise, they compare to a Trophy Bonded bearclaw. I have yet to take any big game with these, but Ray Atkinson has as well as his PH's.

Posts: 694 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA | Registered: 09 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
Do they provide any BC data on their bullets?

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Zero,
you might want to give Mike Brady a call at the number on the brochure to ask him. I have not seen any BC's published.

Posts: 694 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA | Registered: 09 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
About BC: These bullets are flat base, so BC will not be high . . . nothing comparable to GS HV or J36 bullets

Posts: 2082 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BW are they availible in Australia?. I am particularly interested in their 370 gr .416 bullet??.

------------------

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This bullet is a little longer than a conventional bullet and Mike Brady allows for that by making them a little lighter...

These are the best conventional soft point bonded core, solid base game bullet that I have used so far and they expand just like the photos on the Brochure, really they do...They strike me as an improved trophy bonded, a super Nosler,...They are super accurate, and don't foul a bore. Penitration is excellent and equal to most of todays bullets.

Phil Shoemaker, Ross Seyfried, and Bill Dowtin tried them on my recommendation and they praised them highly...I sent a bunch of them to Tanzania and they worked great on Buffalo...

Todays bullets are the best I have ever seen and with Bullets like Northfork, GS Custom, and Woodleighs, how can you go wrong....

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41893 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
PC,

I'm pretty sure there's no distibuter in Australia, or anywhere in the world for that matter.

But if you give Mike a call, and will pay for the shipping, I can't imagine that he wouldn't send them your way.

Probably kind of like us here in the States, and ordering Geralds bullets. Ya pay's your dues, and waits...

------------------
Brian
The 416 Taylor WebPage!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jiri....I don't think the shape of the base, either flat or boat-tail, has an impact on a bullet's ballistic coefficient, I think it's the shape (and length) of the bullet up to the point where the ogive begins.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Bill>
posted
What is their website url?

------------------
www.rifleshooter.com

one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
I made a mistake!!!

Mike has informed me that he is not currently set up to sell his bullets overseas.

So please disregard my post above, about just calling him and ordering some. Sorry.

Bill,

There is no website yet. You should simply call the number listed in the picture above. I'm sure you'll enjoy talking to Mike, much more than reading some old webpage anyhow.

------------------
Brian
The 416 Taylor WebPage!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope he gets set up to sell to Australia at some point, I would love to try those 370 gr .416 bullets. Thanks for the infromation anyway BW.

------------------

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow, that's an impressive bullet. The diameter of the mushroom on the 30 cal 180 looks about the same as the 375's! I doubt it would penetrate as far as an X bullet, but it's going to leave a huge wound channel. And penetration can't be bad with around 100% weight retention. With the solid shank, I don't see how it could ever fail, even from RUM velocities. I would, however like to see what they look like at higher velocity impacts. I might have to try some of these....

BTW, the lack of a boattail will hurt the BC as will the nose not being very sharp but the extra length will help it. I would guess their BC's to be about on par with the A-Frames, maybe a little better, but less than more pointed bullets with boattails. On the other hand, if you can get anywhere close to 100 fps more with them, that'd basically be cancelled out.

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Harald>
posted
Its even better than that JonA. A-Frames (and Bear Claws and most other bonded core types) will begin to behave like solids at around 2000 to 2200 fps (probably 300 yards in most rifles). The North Fork bullets will still expand and deliver a large wound at velocities between 1500 and 1800 fps, depending on the bullet design, giving you probably a full 100 yards more effective range. If you have a premium bullet with a modest BC then you really need that low velocity performance margin. The difference in trajectory for an additional 100 fps is slight between two bullets of nearly equal BC, but another 100 yards of clean killing power is a big deal in my book.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That's a very good point Harald, for most calibers anyway. I'm personally not too concerned about it though, since with my "soon to be" 300 RUM that 180 wouldn't drop below 2000 fps until 700 or 800 yards... I'm more interested in how they'll hold up at ludicrous speeds if they hit something hard. From the looks of the design, they should do at least as well as a Nosler or X but cause more damage along the way.

I feel some penetration tests comming on....

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JOn,
The lack of a boattail has never been an issue in a hunting bullet and to my mind they are detrimental to accuracy until 500 yds is reached and then it is argueable by even the best of the 1000 yd. shooters..the best thing about a boattail is ease of seating bullets and thats not much to justify a bullet...A boattail will cause bullet seperation about as fast as anything I can think of in a hunting bullet...

I shot an elk lenth wise with a Northfork and it came to rest in the elks neck...We have shot several Cape Buffalo with them and got lenthwise penitration and big expansion, and one contridicts the other, but they do it.

They are also the most accurate bullets that I have shot...Bill dowtin, Dowtin Gun Works, tells me they outshoot Balistips and thats no light praise.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41893 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't worry Ray, I'm not worried about the boattail. I was just pointing out it will have an effect on the BC. The main reason I liked boattails on the X's was the reduction of bearing area and friction compared with the flat bases (still higher than a regular bullet but closer at least). I found I had to use powders that were one step slower than should be optimum for a given weight with the flat base X's. The new coating is supposed to take care of this but I haven't tried it yet. Also, I don't think bullet separation is an issue on bullets with a solid base.

Anyway, it looks like the grooves in the Northforks accomplish the same thing in a shorter overall package. I guess that means I could stuff an extra grain or two of H870 into the case . That's great to hear about the accuracy. I'll take an improvment in accuracy over a little BC any day (up to a point...the most accurate bullet I ever found for my rifle was a cheap box of 180 Winchester Round Noses...not exactly "optimum" for antelope hunting ).

one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't stand to be technically incorrect (or incomplete) so I need to clarify what I said above.

About an increase in velocity "making up for" a lower BC...Generally that's true (within reason) when speaking of trajectory (at hunting ranges, not 1000 yd stuff). It "generally" isn't true when talking about wind drift. If one bullet has a huge advantage in BC, you need an insane increase in velocity with the other bullet to match the wind drift of the first.

Sorry if I confused anybody...and before anybody else says it, yes I am anal about this stuff!

<Dave>
posted
Don't get too excited about reported increases in velocity.

Mike told me on the phone that, using a pressure test barrel, when he loads to the same pressure as factory ammunition he gets the same velocity as that factory ammo. He sez: *Handloaders not using test equipment will not recognize the increase in pressure accompanying increased velocities.*