THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    .500 Jeffery Range Results

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.500 Jeffery Range Results Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted
Have managed to run about 50 rounds through my CZ .500 Jeffery and I now have some preliminary range results for you. The action is smooth and slick and it feeds perfectly. So far, have just been blasting jugs and bowling pins with some friends when we go out for a big bore "smackdown." However, I took it out today to just to see where it was on paper at 50 meters.

I really did not relish the thought of shooting full power loads from a sitting position at the bench so I worked up a reduced load using Accurate 5744. In working up the load, I used the formula provided by Accurate which appears in Appendix Two in Terry Wieland's book, DANGEROUS GAME RIFLES. It takes about 122 grains of 5744 to fill the case up to the base of a 535 grain Woodleigh round nose soft point so, the reduced load is 73 grains (122 X .60 = 73). When I first put the load together, I had some real reservations. That amount of Accurate 5744 only fills the case about a third of the way and I was very concerned about a hang fire. However, it works just the way Accurate promised. No hang fire and no fillers necessary. I didn't shoot it across the chronograph yet but I am guessing it is about 60% of the velocity of a full power load so around maybe 1400 to 1500 fps? I will run it across the chronograph and let you know.

On the first shot, I held just under the center. It hit about four inches low and about an inch right. I flipped up the first sight and covered the center with the front site and three shots went into a nice inch and a half group about one inch low.

Next step is to get ahold of some shooting sticks so I can shoot it with full power loads from a standing position. I'll keep you posted.

Dave

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Outstanding, Dave!

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote